What music did you last buy?

It's actually one of those new 180g releases in the "gate fold" cover. It does have the original orange Epic label though.

I also have the original pressing which is a $1 thrift store purchase but, it dose not sound that bad....... for a dollar anyway.

The new one was delivered to day and it sounds much better of course .:)

Last edited:
Yea......I think the first pressing is amazing sounding!!! (I wouldnt want the 180g one)......................................

It supposed to be remastered directly from the original Boston tapes with no "enhancements"at all. It's the closest thing to the sealed original pressing your going to get....... if you don't already have pristine copy.

In any event, it does sound fantastic. I'm hearing things that I forgot was on that LP. :).

Last edited:
On a whim, I gave myself a newly released 2013 reissue boxed CD set of Otto Klemperer conducting Mahler Symphonies 2, 4, 7 and 9, and Das Lied von der Erde with Fritz Wunderlich and Christa Ludwig singing. The recordings are EMI, from the 1960s, all stereo. I basically bought it in hopes of getting a better sounding version of Das Lied than the 1980s CD I've had for years. Mission accomplished, this version sounds much, much better. There's some great filler in there too. A few songs by Christa Ludwig at the end of the Symphony 4 disc are really, really good.

I'm very happy with it.

Its not digital @ all??.....................

Well yeah, most all new vinyl releases of the classic albums are digitally remastered to make the new vinyl molds.

However that is not to be confused with the limitations and often harshness of the 40 year old limited CD standards that we are all stuck with.
Modern high end commercial digital mastering hardware it capable is reproducing the analog faithfully with no noticeable difference even if CDs made from it are lacking in quality.

I believe all new vinyl is now digitally mastered .
The days of tube consoles and 100% analog are long gone.

Last edited:
I love analog also .
However good/high end digital is not distinguishable from good analog ..

Having a choice of .........
1) A less than pristine OP vinyl
2) A compressed hash sounding CD
3) A faithful to the analog tape, digitally remastered virgin vinyl. LP

I would suggests you would be wise take the latter. :)

As I sad before, do not confuse digitally mastered vinyl with remastered CDs.

I stopped at the local thrift shop today . They have many old records of varying quality and many with questionable musical merit......all for 1 dollar each. The last last time I was there, I did not have time to look through all of them. The owner did tell me that many have picked through them already and no new ones have come in for quite a while.

Anyway, today I had time to go through every one and found a gem.
It's a "THS-7" OP of the "Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn".

The gatefold cover was a disaster (but all there) as was the inner sleeve. So, the vinyl was very dusty.
However, it did not have any scratches that I could see and It appeared to be otherwise in good shape . So for a dollar............

After taping the cover back together and a preliminary vinyl cleaning, it did not sound bad at all.. A more thorough vinyl cleaning is now in order..
As dirty as it evidently still is. it still sounds better than the CD. For one thing, individual vocals in harmonys are more pronounced on the vinyl..

BTW I have a pretty good NAD CD deck.

Last edited: