What CD or Music file YOU USE to test bass???

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "bass".

Natural pure musical low notes produced live from an acoustic instrument are less bass heavy than you would think & sound different to electronically produced bass "notes".

Generally speaking in terms of musical notes most acoustic instruments are between 30Hz to 4,000Hz, with most drum kits only going down to 50Hz. Whereas a double bass (stringed instrument) goes down to 40Hz & with can be as low as 31Hz.

For good recordings on low acoustic musical notes the following albums:-
Miles Davis, "Kind of Blue" (Columbia/Legacy remaster)
Dave Brubeck, "Time Out" (Columbia/Legacy remaster)
The Ramsey Lewis Trio, The Greatest Hits (Chess/MCA remaster)
Kodo, "O-Daiko/Big Drum" (Sheffield Labs) (it goes looooooow with slam!)

For "electronic" bass the following albums:-
The Glitch Mob, "Love, Death Immortality", the songs "Mind of a Beast", & "Becoming Harmonious". (both are a real system test piece!)
Gunship, "Dark all Day" the song "Woken Furies".

Plenty of good low stuff by Faithless, Leftfield, Afro Celt Sound System, Stereo MCs, or even DMX...

Terry Bozzio - Solo Drum Music Vol. I & II.

Not just for bass but dynamics.

Attachments

• tb1.jpg
    tb1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 105
  • tb3.jpg
    tb3.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 105
  • tb2.png
    tb2.png
    537.1 KB · Views: 103
I use a heavy UK steppersdub track called "light up your spliff" from the Bush Chemists. Most speakers won't be able to play that bass (a synth) right. Another track that i sometimes use is the openingssequence of Koyaanisqatsi by Philips Glass in the 1998 recording with an very deep organ bass.

For the more poppy/vintage bass (>40 Hz) a good recording with contrabass (aka double bass) like "Take 5" from the Dave Brubeck Quartet is a good tune.

Second Mezzanine from Massive attack. Stresses drivers easily and shows you the SPL limits of your speakers.
Björks hyperballad too.
Other than that I put on tracks with acoustic bass and look for quality and cleanliness more than quantity.
Erykah Badu´s Baduizm album has lots of very deep acoustic bass and is recorded "on the edge" bass wise (lots). It easily reveals if your speakers are too bassy, boomy or you have room resonances of some sort.
is similar. If it sounds like the bass player is in your room, the speakers are fine.

Esbjörn Svensson Trio is a favourite of mine. Acoustic bass but not too prominently recorded. Sounds too thin on lots of systems.
Chet Baker with boominess revealing deep acoustic bass on some tracks.

It amuses me when I play Chris Rea's "Fool if you think it's over" on my 1969 jukebox to anyone who has never seen one before, These have two 12" bass speakers and two 8" tweeters.

When the record starts, I'll say," isn't the bass good on this?"

They'll politely agree, but the bass doesn't come in until half way through the third bar.
If the volume's up, it can shake the floor, there is of course no distortion as they were designed to play loud when necessary.

For Quality Jazz type Bass check out Nenad Vasilic / Marcin Oles and Renaud Garcia Fons. I have plenty more very Hi Quality level recordings of this type. Feel free to contact me if you liked the above recommendation’s.

Solo Double Bass

Attachments

• 2E9F49C7-C2E8-43D8-8D54-9F243DEC89E6.png
    2E9F49C7-C2E8-43D8-8D54-9F243DEC89E6.png
    702.1 KB · Views: 66
Grab yourself your favorite beverage then a seat in the recliner set in place in the sweet listening spot. Dim the lights and play the song Pneuma by tool. Then get set to be blown away. Danny Carey is a god when it comes to a drum kit. The bass, the quality of the percussion in its completeness through the song amazes me. I've used entire listening sessions playing that one song. Make sure you spin it up to 9 or 10 so you can feel it and get the full effects.

Tool - Invincible, another sick bass reference..

Last edited: