What CD or Music file YOU USE to test bass???

Michael Stern's The Lost World CD. Track 7 "Volcano" has some ultra low frequency rumbles more felt then heard.

Brad Miller's "The Power And The Majesty" on Mobel Fidelity vinyl. The rain and thunder storm is awesome.

Audio Fidelity's "Railroad Sounds" on reel to reel 2 track. A work train in the yard moving cars around. And a diesel starting up and pulling out. Far better bass then the vinyl version.

Then, of course, any of the Illegal Bass Testers on youtube.

Attachments

• lost world.jpg
    lost world.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 373
  • P&M.jpg
    P&M.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 363
  • AFRR.jpg
    AFRR.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
1. Hans Zimmer - Time
YouTube
Perfect dynamics of classical film music. Shy on the beginning, monumental on the end. Endless bass extension and lots of infra-sound-created atmosphere.

2. Zack Hemsey - Mind Heist
YouTube
Endless bass depths coming from the borders of contemporary classical and electro inspired with Hans Zimmer music. Carries lots of impact when your system can handle below-20 Hz in-room response.

3. Yello - Planet Dada
YouTube
An ultimate speaker benchmark on its own. Eclusive electro. Lightning fast bass notes and clicking sounds flying around you. Rarity - bass is not downmixed to mono and it is bombarding your system with various frequencies literally from all sides - even from the behind. It evaluates not only bass but stereo imaging as well. Thrilling on capable systems.

4. Giga Papaskiri - Lucie from Paris
YouTube
Minimal nostalgic and clean electro genre. Pure, strong kick and deep synths with enveloping athmosphere. Great for tracing rattling furniture, B-R port noises or air leaks in sealed enclosures.

5. Falcon Heavy launch by Sound Traveler
YouTube
If you are dare enough and have lots of linear displacement available in your system you can try this. IT CAN EASILY DAMAGE YOUR LOUDSPEAKERS! It contains literally all sound spectrum utilising full dBfs scale! Great for challenging most capable subwoofers or even destroying them! Use it on your own risk!

Last edited:
Let me ask all of You a simple question.
What is Bass ?
I mean looking at speaker graph responses what do You all consider good bass?
The OP defined "Bass" as 20-200Hz, a good "bass" definition for a three-decade division (bass, mid, high) of 20-20kHz, 20-200 Hz(bass), 200-2kHz(mid), 2kHz to 20kHz(high).

What "You all" consider "good bass" will probably go on forever, or another 5 years, whichever comes first ;^)...

Art

Classic 80’s Michael Jackson and George Michael: Faith, to start with. Got to move me... Haim has the super low sweep stuff to check if it’s well behaved bass. (LCR) I want solid bass not distracting room shake. Then +90 hz Johnny cash I hung my head the vocals are deep and raw good for checking mid bass peaks out. Turn off the mid and tweeter and try some plucked harp sounds is good for that too. Overall I want to to hear every single bass part/note. Nothing getting lost or blending into cloudy bass bloat. You can get really punchy, solid and articulate bass without shaking the room, that’s good bass. The new kraftwerk 3D boxset has just about the best bass but I’m partial...

I use "The Russian's are coming" (Reggae Take Five) by Val Bennet or "Black Coffee" - All Saints. For a subtler acoustic bass, try any Charlie Mingus or Light Flight - Pentangle. We all have our standard go to music to test amps, interesting choices above. Wrecking Ball is a classic album and love Eric Satie, though most pieces I've heard are just solo piano = light bass content.

Interestingly Harbeth reckon human speech is the best test of a system. Whichever, can't beat cranking up the volume till the bass nails you to your chair, makes me grin like kid who's just been given a sweat factory.

Andy.

Last edited: