Australian Pink Floyd Show

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Saw this show last night and I'm well pleased. I have to admit I originally went to see them out of curiosity having previously seen the real Pink Floyd.

These guys are seriously good!! Show started with all of DSOTM, quick break, and then a good mix of other tracks from Astronomy Domine to Division Bell.

Real energy and quality stage production. Great Gig in the Sky was always going to be difficult to live up to, but I felt they did a better job than PF's own female vocalist did last time I saw them. The Oz girlie was actually hitting those highs properly!

My advice is, if you like PF at all, this group is well worth going to see!

Just my £0 0s 2.5d (that's tuppence-apney's worth in the old money).

from a happy Paul.

P.S. my thanks to that southern continent.

I saw the real Pink Floyd in '87 shortly after the release of Momentary Lapse of Reason. One of the best concerts I've ever seen. (The Cure Disintegration tour is the only contender)

Me and a few friends had tickets on the floor 20 rows back or so, In the center of the Astrodome in Houston. I can still remember during Yet Another Movie they shot a moving green Lazer sinusoid Over our heads and I made it seem as if you were under water. So Cool.

There was a guy that sat by himself next to us. He passed us a funny smelling cigarette then dissapeared. We passed it back and forth until it was gone. The kind gentleman never returned. Somehow I think it intensified the effect of the laser. You know, the smoke gave the laser something to reflect off of. ;)

I saw the real Pink Floyd in '87 shortly after the release of Momentary Lapse of Reason. One of the best concerts I've ever seen.

My own experience of the real Pink Floyd was the Division Bell tour at Earls Court, London. Also one of the best concert experiences I've ever had.

Your mention of funny smelling cigarettes reminds me of a Tangerine Dream concert I went to many years ago:cloud9:

Blissful memories...

Dark Side of the Moon tour c. 1973

One of my (older) brothers saw them on that tour at a local Gaumont. I am most jealous. He also saw Queen supporting Mott the Hoople there. It is now a bingo hall!

Bands are so much more immediate in these smaller venues. A shame that they aim for fewer nights and bigger venues these days.

Ee when I wur yung, fings wur so mutch nicer! (Best Monty Python Yorkshire accent):wchair:

I've seen the Aussie Floyd quite a few times over the years, first at a free gig at the University of Plymouth Students Union and most recently at the Royal Albert Hall in November last year. They're consistently excellent and even make a brave stab at recreating the legendary Pink Floyd light show. They also play a lot of the older material that the real Floyd haven't done in years (Echoes, Sheep, Set The Controls etc). Highly recommended.

Timn8ter is right about the quality of the Gilmour and Waters solo shows on DVD. I went to the Bristol Hifi show last month and saw at least eight different equipment manufacturers use those DVDs to demo their gear!

Mr Pinkmouse: any interesting stories to relate about your time with the Floyd?

Nice one,
David.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
daatkins said:
Mr Pinkmouse: any interesting stories to relate about your time with the Floyd?

Mr, wow, how polite!, Thanks, but no need...;)

I made a point a few years ago about not chatting about musos that I have worked with, and that is why I still get lucrative jobs from them like private parties, their weddings, and suchlike.

However, I will tell a story of my own ignorance :)

When I started working on the tour, it was during rehearsals at Docklands Arena, before it opened to the public. Because my job was quite specific, I was very busy, then had to spend lots of time sitting around on call. I think it was the second day of waiting, I was sitting in catering, drinking coffee and reading the paper. This bloke came up and we started chatting about stuff, and we eventually got on to guitars. An hour or so later, after a great chat, he had to leave. After he left, one of the lampies walked up an asked, ( you probably guessed by now), what I had been chatting with Dave Gilmour about!

So, as we got busy on the tour, I didn't see that much of the band for the rest of the time, but at the end of the tour I got a call to go help put all the backline back into storage. We were taken to a secret location, and with a wink, I was told to sort out the guitars and rack them back up, and there was no rush. When I walked into the store I was blown away. it was his entire collection of vitage guitars and amps. Needless to say, I made the best of my time in there!!

Nice bloke!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.