Wheres the axemen? + downloading tuness

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

This is a two part question that was created after a 40something discussion about the state (poor) that rock is seemingly in.

Firstly, were have all the talented guitarist/composers gone? During my HS and college days, it seemed that they popped out of everywhere and gave us an unending stream of inspired music. You know the list- Hendrix, Page, Beck, Clapton, DiMeola, then Trower, VanHalen, Knofler, SRV then Maelstrom, Satriani ....just to name a few. I know that then, much of the music was "commercial" and not underground as such, but is it me or do I just not hear musicianship anymore and just programming and engineering. And Im not one of those "stuck in the past" guys that hates the new just because its not old. Im 46 and listen to mostly instrumental jazz, rock, bluegrass, blues and a bit of classical. But I also own stuff like Collective Soul, Rage Against the Machine, Alice in Chains, etc. But for the past 5 years, not much has sparked me.

Am I finally old and totally unhip? Is all the new quality music hidden away on millions of harddrives around the world and not making it to AOR airwaves, college or otherwise?

Help! I would really like to be introduced to some new music that can be any genre as long as its well written, decently recorded and actually has talented musicians playing instruments . Actually, some high quality Ambient and Trance(not sure if they are the same) might be cool too (Im Tangerine Dreamed out)

So do I need to become download savy? I would still buy the stuff if I like it since Im sure downloaded files are not going to provide SACD/ADVD or even good CD quality. Maybe theres a forum or site that addresses new highend music.

Im sure I cant be alone. Most of us have had to take refuge in jazz were they believe quality and talent = success.

amt

Wait a minute...now I see the reference to Adrian Belew. Hes not exactly a new kid on the block. I believe I saw him with the Talking Heads once.

My search is for new bands, as in more recently formed and at the beginning of their creative pursuits. I have a couple hundred albums of older, obscure bands that smoke but just werent commercially viable. Thats want I want to keep aquiring and listening to.

amt

Amt, I share your pain...

Based on your first post, I think we have a lot in common in terms of age and listening preferences.

I grew up on the guitar gods of rock n' roll (remember Rory Gallagher?) but over the past 20 years I have developed a real fondness for the blues, jazz and bluegrass music. Unfortunately, I too have noticed that the local cd shop has very little to offer in the way of new music that I would be inclined to pay for.

I think the reason is that a lot of the really good musicians have chosen to eschew the commercial music biz in favour of the indie approach. For the past few years, the best new music I have heard has been at folk festivals and house concerts. Distribution is through direct sales and the internet. The result is that this music is much harder to find.

For what it's worth, I can recommend a couple of artists, including Harry Manx, Eric Bibb, Mundy/Turner. They all have web sites where you may download clips and purchase cds.

You might also want to listen to some non-commercial radio stations. Here in Alberta we have a great one, http://www.ckua.com where I have heard all of these artists featured.

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.