High Res Downloads

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to post a sample recording in 24/96 for anyone to download (Lee Barber playing the wonderful song "Tin Foil Satellite" for a group of local audiophiles and artists). Obviously, it would be a large file. Being an old coot, the only services I know to do that have a limited number of downloads- is there a free service where I can do this and have essentially unlimited downloads of the file?

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Very clear sound SY!! There is something weird going on with the soundstage though (at least through my speakers). He sounded like he was sitting about 4 feet to the left of my left most speaker (thats my left sitting facing the speakers), but some of the guitar (most specifically fingers sliding on the strings, not sure if there is a proper word for that) sounded pretty much central between the speakers...

Tony.

Last edited:
Yeah, I need to move the mike back slightly on the next go-round- it's a Blumlein, and the height difference between Left and Right did something funny to the image. There's also some low level hum on the right, which I think was from ambient (the mikes and pre are all battery powered). This was a live show, so I couldn't tweak position. We're doing a recording-only session in a few weeks where I can work that stuff out.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ok just looked it up, I almost asked if it was too close, but since I know nothing about recording didn't ;)

Out of interest was he seated centrally or off to one side? He was planted firmly in the back left corner of my room. Is it possible you didn't have the centre of the mic pair exactly on axis? maybe to the right by 1 or 2 degrees?

Tony.

Attachments

• For SY.JPG
    For SY.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 245
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
How close was the mic BTW (I'm guessing less than 1M) I would assume that the closer it is the more exagerated the left to right separation will be. I think that is why I was hearing the fingers sliding on the strings between the speakers about 6 - 7 feet away from the voice (he is right handed right?) the neck of the guitar was far enough to the right for it to sound central.

I guess getting back at a distance of 2 - 3 meters though will cause problems with room reflections and levels?? My intuition tells me that that would be the distance to get good spacial information (assuming of course that the room is that big!)

Sorry for the dumb questions, but imaging (and hwo to get it in a recording) is something that I find very interesting :)

Tony.

I had a look at soundcloud support . They transcode the stream to 128Khz mp3. However they say all files for download are not transcoded. Just a thought what is the file size of the flac file you uploaded. If im right a 24 bit file would be larger than a 16 bit file . I could be wrong though ..
Regards Ian

We'll have some better stuff in a few weeks, but this is kind of a nice look at the tonal balance and clarity I've been getting from this mike and preamp. And it was a great show- he had the audience in tears after this one. Started slow and just got hotter and hotter. My other fave from that show was a really different take on the old Randy Newman song, "Mama Told Me Not to Come."

I'm seeing Lee again on Friday night with the full band (Whip In, in case you're anywhere near Austin).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.