Great rock albums

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
we had the favourite live rock albums but let´s go for the studio rock album gems.
I´m always looking for "new" stuff which most of the time are quite old albums actually.
A short description would be nice so you could imagine what "style" it´s like as everbody defines the term "rock-music" different.
A few things I´ll list here also have soul, country and other influences but that´s music.

I´m just starting off with a few favourites of myself:

Roachford "Permanent shade of blue"
The Who "Who´s next"
Paul Weller "Stanley road"
Free "Free at last"
Bad Company "Bad Co"
Jackson Browne "Looking east"
Oasis "Definitely maybe"
Ben Harper "Fight for your mind"
Bruce Hornsby "The way it is"

Thanks for any inspirations to music I haven´t discovered yet
So...
Have a listen.

Jens

This would be probably one of my favourites:

Attachments

• st.jpg
    st.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 706
Hi!

My pick, kind of a top five:

1. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd - No description necessary...
2. Operation: Mindcrime - Queensryche - a great concept album, they really took production to it's limits (for three days just recording the sounds of steps in corridors to find out what sounds best...)
3. The Doors - LA Woman - Apart from the first one the Doors at their best, and more mature
4. Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss - OK, more Heavy than Rock, but still my No. 1 kick *** album :)
5. Danzig II Lucifuge - Damn near perfect rock, great voice, romantic, if only G. Danzig wouldn't be such an a***hole...

Left out German bands, since they would be of no interest to international listeners...

Bye,

Arndt

You might not qualify it as Rock, but:

"Rumours" by Fleetwood Mac

is soft enough for women and hard enough for men. Highly recommended. You might also want to check out the Sterophile R2D4 sections (Records to die for - each reviewer gets 2 per albums to take with him when he dies - they can change their selection every year).

Petter

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Early albums of Uriah Heep are pretty good too.

He,He...

I always preferred Uriah over Deep Purple.

My favourite list?

I wouldn't know where to start really; I love Jimi Hendrix as an artist as much as I love Stevie Ray Vaughan too.

Other than that it goes from anything as obscure as Alquin, Supersister ( my Amsterdam years) to Gentle Giant, King Crimson, early Genesis, Rolling Stones, Van Morrison, Clapton...

Gosh, it's really hard to single out one particular rock album.

Cheers,;)

P.S. All of the above on vinyl of course...nothing else really rocks...does it?

As far as the older stuff goes, I assume most people are familiar with the sounds of the respective bands, so I won't bother with a description...

Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground. The rest of their albums are also great, but I'm partial to this one. The Rhino reissue of Loaded has some great bonus tracks, too.
Rush - 2112, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures.
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms.
Just about any Bowie album.
Most any Paul Simon album.
Anything Tom Waits--not always rock, but generally interesting/amusing/good.

And since I missed the live album discussion, I might as well mention Rush's Exit Stage Left and Bowie's David Live.

As for newer stuff, this'll probably take a while...

Suede - Suede, Dog Man Star, and Sci-Fi Lullabies. Britpop, sometimes kind of a classic rock sound, gorgeous all around.

Every Cure album is great, but I really like The Head on the Door, if only because it has 'Push' on it (the rest of the songs are great as well, but 'Push' is probably the catchiest song they've ever done, and I *never* get tired of it).

Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica. Modest Mouse is kind of an indie-rock staple, but it's well-deserved. Sort hard to describe the sound--meandering guitars doing things you wouldn't entirely expect, I suppose. All their albums are good, but The Moon and Antactica is probably the one most accessible to someone who hasn't heard them before.

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain. Pavement is also an indie-rock staple, and also well-deserved. I ignored them for a while for whatever reason, but just picked up a copy of Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, and I love it. Only album of theirs I have at this point, so it's the only one I can recommend, though I'm pretty sure just about any album would be great. Kind of a combination of pop, rock, and maybe a little country/folk. Catchy, but not annoying or over-produced.

The Sundays - Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic, Blind, Static and Silence. The Sundays put out 3 albums, all of them great, and very much worth owning. Female-led britpop. Jangly guitars, beautiful vocals. They did a rather stunning cover of The Rolling Stones' 'Wild Horses' on Blind.

Built to Spill - I have a hard time recommending any one album, because they're pretty good, and yet, I tend to think the Live album is better than all the studio albums combined. The studio albums sound bored and lifeless in comparison, and you really can't beat a 20-minute live rendition of Neil Young's 'Cortez the Killer.'

Sleater-Kinney - All their albums are great. Fantastically creative guitar work. The vocals might turn some people off--they turned me off for a long time--but they tend to grow on you after a while.

Bif Naked - I Bificus. Sort of like a more rock'n'roll version of No Doubt.

Cat Power - Moon Pix, What Would the Community Think. Not entirely rock, but both albums are gorgeous. Good music to listen to on a summer night with the windows open.

The Faint - Media, Danse Macabre, Blank-Wave Arcade. Media is largely guitar rock, the latter two albums are much more electronics-based. Lots of insanely catchy songs though.

Elliott Smith - either/or, XO. Beautiful guitar work, good vocals, very pleasant and relaxing. Lots of quiet sort of bedroom-guitar rock, if that makes sense.

Rasputina - How We Quit the Forest, Thanks for the Ether, Cabin Fever. 3 women playing rock with their cellos. Unique to bizarre lyrics, generally great music, vocals are so-so but they work with the music. They really pull some amazing sounds out of those instruments.

AFI - Black Sails in the Sunset. AFI sounds a lot like old Offspring. Sometimes a bit cheesy, but they're very good at what they do.

Michelle Shocked - Any album. Charming sort of country-folk-rock stuff.

Remy Zero - Villa Elaine. Good, fun pop-rock.

Lovelight Shine - Makes Out. Classic/glam rock.

The Minders - Cul-de-Sacs & Dead Ends. Bright, jangly pop-rock.

And I could go on. I assume most people are familiar with Tori Amos, Fiona Apple, the Smashing Pumpkins, Tool, Nick Cave, Prince, and Peter Gabriel, so I won't expound on their merits. And I think I've probably wasted enough space already as it is.

r0cket- said:

Every Cure album is great, but I really like The Head on the Door, if only because it has 'Push' on it (the rest of the songs are great as well, but 'Push' is probably the catchiest song they've ever done, and I *never* get tired of it).

I don't like that much of their later albums, but Seventeen Seconds is my favourite. "Grinding Halt" was my catchiest song of theirs.

Peter Daniel said:

I don't like that much of their later albums, but Seventeen Seconds is my favourite. "Grinding Halt" was my catchiest song of theirs.

I like just about everything they've done, though I haven't heard all the albums (I've heard probably 2/3s of them). The newest albums of theirs that I have are Wild Mood Swings and Bloodflowers. The former is maybe a bit too bitter and cynical, though I still like it, and I've heard so many bad things about the latter that I haven't even put it on once, despite owning it for months. Everything else I've heard has been great, and what they did in the 80s really redeems that decade for me (and thank god too, cus I don't know what else would).

while we're on about indie:

yo la tengo is a good jam band, sortof the intellectual's version of phish, i guess - i'm told they are fantastic to watch live.

flaming lips - i am enjoying yoshime battles the pink robots very much.

blonde redhead - melody of certain damaged lemons (i think i remembered that right) is another one of those that grows on you. i used to think, 'meh...', but now i just love it and appreciate the work put into their sound.

lush was a great girl band. i have listened to the album split many times. lots of that sustained warm-and-fuzzy guitar sound that i like.

r0cket: i will check out that pavement album you mentioned. i have 'westing by (something) and sextant', and i tried listening to it, i really did. just didn't seem very palatable to me. how is 'crooked rain' by comparison?

oh, and smashing pumpkins *rocks on toast*. i hope billy keeps going with ZWAN. i love his voice.

/andrew

faustian bargin said:
r0cket: i will check out that pavement album you mentioned. i have 'westing by (something) and sextant', and i tried listening to it, i really did. just didn't seem very palatable to me. how is 'crooked rain' by comparison?

oh, and smashing pumpkins *rocks on toast*. i hope billy keeps going with ZWAN. i love his voice.

/andrew

It's weird, I love the Pumpkins and I liked Chavez well enough, but for some reason, I just haven't gotten into Zwan. The synthesis of the two sounds is maybe just a bit much for me to swallow. I probably just need to sit down with the album and listen to it a few times, though (it's usually kinda rare that I like something the first time I hear it).

As far as Pavement goes, I've only really heard the album I have and a couple other songs here and there. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is really damned good by any measure, though.

Just listening to Mother Earth - You have been watching.

Never heard of them until a friend came back from australia with the CD. Guess they´re more famous there.
Again a combination of straight rock with souly edge.
"Jessie" was one of the more famous tracks from their first album.

Attachments

• b000025lg4.03.mzzzzzzz.jpg
    b000025lg4.03.mzzzzzzz.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 335
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.