White Album, the BEATLES

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Of all the releases over the years of the White Album, which do you think is the very best in audiophile terms?

Is anyone familiar with the bootleg CD of the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab vinyl release?

I'd also be interested in audiophile releases of Abbey Road.

I know already that the EMI CD's are generally lifeless (including the 30th Anniversary reissue of the White Album).

BTW, the Yellow Submarine Songtrack reissue: LOVED IT!

Seems no one has an opinion. Maybe my question wasn't clear. I was talking about vinyl or CDs, and the various pressings. Some suggest the Japanese pressings are superior to the 1987 EMI N. American release.

Maybe I'm just out of date, but in my opinion, no other band was able to look so far forward and so far back. I find it interesting in Sgt. Pepper the Edwardian references...

Who remembers the excitement when Sgt. Pepper was released? Ya gotta admit there aren't any parallels today. Good artists, yes, but "nothin's gonna change my world..."

The Rolling Stones are coming back to Toronto.... hmmm.... I can only hear the Beatles on old recordings, but that excites me more than Mick prancing around on stage again!

I guess I just never thought of it as an audiophile album. The sound is so processed and artificial (deliberately so) that the differences between pressings and CDs seem to really be matters of noise level (LP) or EQ (LP and CD). It's just not ear candy. Some darn fine music, though.

I’m not sure what you mean by artificial sound, but I have to agree that the differences between pressings are basically matters of noise level and EQ. But the MFSL LP was supposed to be remastered with a significantly improved sound (like the Yellow Submarine Songtrack).

To be honest, I wore out my White Album about 30 years ago playing it on a rooftop. I haven’t had a copy since and have hardly heard any of it since then. I don’t think I’ve heard it on an audiophile system, but anyway I have a great audiophile version in my head! It's just one of those albums that take me back to some pleasant memories, and if I were to look for it, I'd want to get the best sound I could, that's all.

Steve, you telling me I don't belong here? I'll check out the other forum. Thanks pal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.