A longshot -- can anyone ID a demo CD?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is probably not going to work, but I'd really like to be able to identify the tracks on a demo CD I was given by a friend from England. He said he got it from a store that used it selling equipment. There is some really good music on it, and I'd really like to buy some of the CDs the tracks were taken from, if only I could find out what they are.

The disk has 40 tracks, all just short cuts from longer tracks, and each about a minute or two long. Of the ones I could identifiy, there are several James Taylor cuts ("Isn't She Lovely" and "Line 'em All Up"), Belafonte's "When the Saints Come Marching In", a nice rendition of Elvira Madigan (don't know whose), an instrumental of "Bye-Bye Blackbird".

Has anyone run into this demo CD, and if so, is there a track list I can get for it?

Thanks....

Have you tried letting a CD ripper attempt to identify it? If it was a widely distributed demo, it's possible that someone entered it into the Freedb or other CD database. That's how I was finally able to put a title to a mystery CD that I downloaded from USENET.

I believe there's some service that identifies tracks by sound. I read about one that worked via cell phone, and the RIAA probably has something similar to automate detecting copyright violators. It should be even easier to identify digital copies if they were accurately-ripped and haven't been molested (normalized or EQed).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.