Great classical Music ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recentlly came across a old classical record collection at a clean out sale . They had some records in great condition.I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on good recordings I should look for .I cant afford to buy the whole thing(about 150 records) right now but I dont want to miss an opertunity to get a few gems. The records look spotless. I bought a thorens TT off them for $10 its nice.Thank You for any sugestions.

You would do just as well by buying every tenth record. Or maybe the last thirteen and two from the middle. And make sure you don't miss the one in the pic.

Attachments

• jesus use me.jpg
    jesus use me.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 140
Well obviously the actual composers you like is a very personal thing.

In terms of good performances you should definitely look for anything with the Berlin Philharmonic and especially Herbert von Karajan, Mariss Jansons, there is a list of good names. Th Deutsche Grammophon Label is usually a good indicator of a quality recording.

In terms of works that are my current favourites and things I would recommend there are

Tchaikovsky Symphonies 4,5,6.
Mahler Symphony Number 5
Mozart Symphonies 39,40,41, Requiem
Sibelius Symphony No.3, Violin Concerto
Saint Seans Symphony No.3 "The Organ"
Pretty much anything by JS Bach

But please don't take my list as anything other than the first few of my own personal recommendations that jumped of the top of my head. But as Analog says, if you are unsure what to pick you are as well just to "lucky dip" and see what you like and often the more obscure composers and pieces you have have never heard of turn out to be hidden gems.

Hope you enjoy your listening

-Telemin-

A good place to get a brief exposition on classical music is this article on WikiPedia. Of particular interest is the "Timeline of Composers" illustration about 2/3rd of the way down the article. I have pieces from all eras shown, but, mostly from 1850's to 1950's and none of the Avantgarde composers :). If you know the names of some composers you like (and they're on the list), look for others from around the same time period.

Tom.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.