best drummers and recordings on cd? - what's cool?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anything live from Dave Matthews. Carter Beauford really shows his talent on the live albums. His intro on Live at RR #36 is incredible. John Bonham really goes apeshiz on any live zeppelin recordings. I'll have to find out which performance, but on one version of Moby Dick the latter 13min of the track is one big solo. Neil peart on any live Rush recordings. These are all pretty mainstream. If you're looking more for undiscovered drum talent I can do some more digging. For hardcore heavy drum fans check out Blotted Science (best king of metal IMO-no vocals), the double bass pedal is awesome.

freddi said:
I like drums - I like good reproduction of drums - whats cool in your opinions for recordings?

Check out M'boom by Max Roach. This album consists entirely of percussion instruments, and is definitely an audiophile quality recording. Although Max is known as a jazz drummer, this album might best be described as "World Music". It's one of those types of discs that if you try to play it at realistic levels on a system that can't produce high SPLs at low distortion, it will badly show up the shortcomings of that type of system. Played on a system that's capable of reproducing it well, it's absolutely mind blowing.

Unfortunately the album is out of print, and I've seen high prices for it on the used market. But if you're interested, I might be able to work out a way to get a copy to you.

To Freddi:

There are 2 that come to my mind:

1) Dave brubeck quartet, live at Carnegy Hall: the track "Castillian Drums" contains a legendary drum solo of several minutes. Sounds well (on the remastered version I have, at least).

2) If a short solo would be OK too, check on Paolo Fresu's "Melos" the intro of track 2; very spectacular (the entire album is truly audiophile, one of my top favs).

Chris.

Tony Williams, one of the greatest. Check his "Lifetime" records.

Drums and percussion - Evelyn Glennie

Mickey Hart's records - some awesome stuff.
Daefos, Planet Drum

Kodo Drummers of Japan

Peter Erskine

Ginger Baker - solos on Cream, Ginger Baker Trio, Ginger Baker and DJQ 20

Trilok Gurtu

Some of the ones I like

A great recording - overall musically ,not just because of the drumming IMO- is Gerry Granelli's "A Song I Thought I Heard Buddy Sing"
Listen to some exerpts at Amazon
I like it because of the guitar playing of Robben Ford and Bill Frisell, and the overall feeling of very inventive music played by people who are listening to each other.

Another very interesting disc is one I just heard for the first time last night- Renee Rosnes "Life on Earth'' - good recording and some good percussion work by Zakir Hussain, Mor Thiam,Jeff Tain Watts, Billy Drummond. Another very tight and musical offering with great musicians, IMO. Out of print but available. Listen here

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.