Heavy Metal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not the bands maybe, but for example Amorphis's Tales From The Thousand Lakes will remain as one of the best albums in it's genre. Ever. Amorphis just released a new album, where they remake'd large part of the song from Tales... and the Elegy album. I dont know if this is a good thing, as some albums and songs should be left alone. Alltough I have to say, that majority of these old song do sound very good with ''modern'' sounds.

There's a Dimmu Borgir show coming up here in Helsinki in two weeks. Don't know, that should I go, because Vortex is not in the band anymore – and that is REALLY a shame.

For those doom fans out there, do give a go for Finnish bands such as Swallow The Sun and Ghost Brigade.

There are so many different sub-categories.
My current favourites: Dimmu-borgir, Amorphis and Summoning
But I don't think they'll be considered 'classics' 30 years on.

Not the bands maybe, but for example Amorphis's Tales From The Thousand Lakes will remain as one of the best albums in it's genre. Ever. Amorphis just released a new album, where they remake'd large part of the song from Tales... and the Elegy album. I dont know if this is a good thing, as some albums and songs should be left alone. Alltough I have to say, that majority of these old song do sound very good with ''modern'' sounds.

There's a Dimmu Borgir show coming up here in Helsinki in two weeks. Don't know, that should I go, because Vortex is not in the band anymore – and that is REALLY a shame.

For those doom fans out there, do give a go for Finnish bands such as Swallow The Sun and Ghost Brigade.

x2...

Amorphis's Tales From the Thousand Lakes definitely one of the best in it's genre..
It's hard and wicked (don't know if that is the right terms) but i'm loving it big time..

Im a metalhead too..

So ill just throw in some of the tunes on my playlist for today:

Ruins - bNlack metal with nice dm drumming.

Mithotyn - Viking metal

Forgotten Tomb - depressive Doom/Black metal

Akercocke - Very diverse Death/Black metal

Nidingr - Black Metal

Tool - Already mentioned

Swallow the Sun and My Dying Bride and Solitude Aeturnus - Doom Metal

Carnivore - Primitive Thrash metal - When mr Steele was on fire, but now dead and buried.

95% of my collection is metal, but as i get older some blues and easy going jazz is starting to catch on too..

Tank has some new stuff out actually. They put out a live album in 1997. Here is a couple of cuts from it.

YouTube - Tank - Power of the Hunter

YouTube - Tank - This Means War

They put out an album in 2002 Here are a couple of cuts from it.

YouTube - Tank - Return Of The Filth Hounds

YouTube - Tank - Conspiracy Of Hate

And they have some brand new stuff too (without Algy). Its not the same without him but it is good though..

YouTube - TANK - Feast of the Devil (War Machine)

YouTube - TANK - Judgement Day (War Machine)

Astral Doors & Arcturus

I just came across with a band called Astral Doors from Sweden. The band's vocalist, Nils Patrik Johansson, is often compared to Ronnie James Dio. No wonder, he's amazing.

Another gem is Arcturus from Norway with Simen "Vortex" Hestnæs in the vocals. I loaned the ''Shipwrecked in Oslo'' live dvd from my collague and I fell for the band right away. They have very unique sound and their genre is usually called ''avantgarde metal''. This band was split up in 2007, but as Vortex was kicked out from Dimmu Borgir, I would not be surprised if Arturus would be put together again. Infact, I remember reading, that Arcturus would have a show next year somewhere is US....

I have to chime in and say that I am not a Pantera fan at all. I have tried, but still end up changing the Serius channel whenever they come on - which is WAYYY too much in my opinion.

Love Megadeth and Iron Maiden, though!!!!!!! I just saw Mustaine with Exodus and Testament in Pennsy last spring - FRONT ROW!!! Have seen Maiden many times, too.

I was at the Overkill show Nov 25 @ Starland Ballroom last month (NJ). Great show, but Dee Dee needs to shut his mouth and play bass ONLY!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.