World Music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Debussy! - probably the first composer of true world music, inspired by the javenese gamelan at the paris world fair 1880(ish! - off top of head...)

you could argue against this easily of course, particularly around the definition of world music - though e.g. i don't think the use of slave tunes by Delius cuts it...and certainly not novelty numbers like 'rondo alla turk'.

I first saw TGU at Glasto Jazz stage and a couple of years later by pure chance ended up working for them mixing FOH and also monitors for Nat. :D

Lucky you! I bet they were lovely to work with.

Somebody gave me a copy of ‘International Times’ - must have been twenty years ago, and inexplicably, I never listened to it until early last year. Couldn’t stop playing it. Then I found a copy of ‘100 Nations’ in our local charity shop, and couldn’t stop playing that, either. After that, I hit eBay and gathered as much as I could. Now I play the Globs a couple of times a week. Natasha makes me weep, she is such a sweetie. :)

They remind me of a world gone, and a world yet to come.

ToS

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.