whats your favourite music?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
EC8010 said:

As for kit, I've always felt that it's a good sign if you find yourself listening to different music as a consequence of changing kit. For what it's worth, I bought my first transistor amplifier six years ago.

that makes me think of a question: does anyone listen to electronic music (not just/only digital source, but music made electronically) using a tube amp, or vice versa listen to analogue/acoustic music using solid state?

any thoughts on this?

/andrew

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I have no shame.

faustian bargin said:
Does anyone listen to electronic music (not just/only digital source, but music made electronically) using a tube amp, or vice versa listen to analogue/acoustic music using solid state?

Yes. I have no shame. I listen to early J M Jarre or Vangelis on valve amplifiers and revel in that analogue synthesiser sound. The difference between an analogue synth and a digital clone is like the difference between original (acoustical) instruments and contemporary instruments.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
EC8010 said:
I reckon that you listen to the music of your teens, then expand outwards in time as you grow older. Thus, I listened to Pink Floyd, Joan Armatrading, Kate Bush, Fleetwood Mac, Ry Cooder, Heart, and Beethoven. I now add Tori Amos, J S Bach, K D Lang, Wagner, Tom Waits, and Frank Zappa.

The 1st list sounds pretty familiar, but Tom & Frank should be in it. Bob Marley, Flora Purim, and Viktor Lazlo all came later.

dave

Go figure

Funny how time doesn't change you, but just keeps adding to your range.

As a teen, it was Men at Work, Rick Springfield, Michael Jackson, Paula Abdul, Hall & Oates. You name it in the top 40. I played in the jazz and concert bands but never bought the music.

In college, it was whatever was on Muchmusic (Cdn MTV).

Stopped listening in my mid-twenties, then inherited my grandfather's Marantz and started re-collecting CDs that I once had on LP. Even started to re-acquaint myself with my band music.

So now, the travelling set (stuff I must have on vacation) includes jazz, baroque, world, indy, divas, electronica and now I'm thinking of getting some Shania Twain. I even have one rap album - NWA. Nothing more truthful than angry young afro-americans.

Anyway, I think I scare the devil out of the audio sales people when I try out gear in the store. Start with Brubeck, go to Dark Side, a little Mozart, then pull out the Aqua's Barbie Girl. Stangely, having the range really shows me all the limitations of the system I'm listening to.

:)ensen

Best music artists

Personally, the best type of music i enjoy is the style you hear at cafe's. Something that is meant to be an ambient music, yet sounds awsome when concentrating and listening to.

Good example. Cafe del Mar. They have I think 7 or 8 mixes of jungle, ambient type music that are great to show off the quality of your speakers.

Low ranges are excellent, and upper ranges are clear and crisp.

Another mix i really like is the music from Cirque de Solie. Their music is incredible... just gotta get it.

Lastly, if you want to hear a more striaght forward, Techno style music with awsome effects... get BT, he is a great author who utilizes the whole spectrum, yet doesnt get annoying like some techno artists with the constant flat thump going on. Get Movements in Still life. Awsome album... best song is : Microphone checka. (I think thats how you spell it)

Good listenings.

Chris Martens

that makes me think of a question: does anyone listen to electronic music (not just/only digital source, but music made electronically) using a tube amp, or vice versa listen to analogue/acoustic music using solid state?

I do this, I listen to lots of trance and house on my 5W single-ended-triode amp. It sounds great! I have reasonably efficient speakers so it is plenty loud.

I like the warmth and smoothness of SET amps, they make everything sound better, even bad CDs seem to sound good. :)

Also I have a few friends that are DJs, and the sound of vinyl is light years ahead of CDs, even with computerised dance music! It would be my dream to have a decent turntable, but alas no room...

Fav artist at the moment is Satoshi Tomiie.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.