Unheard, Underestimated, Underground Music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is anyone else tired of the same radio dribble out there? Do you love the feeling of finding something so great, and knowing none of your friends have heard it yet? Well, what better place to share your thoughts on the Unheard, Underestimated, Underground?

Personally, I generally listen to genres spanning from Rock to the heavy stuff. But, all should be considered. Like I always say, I can hear Heavy Metal in Classical music, and vice versa. So to start:

Agalloch: Great Neo Folk rock combining a bit a death metal with very melodic Rock.

Moonspell: Very similar to Agalloch, more on the Goth side.

Opeth: If you haven't tried them, does it now!

Virgin Black: Australian. Their latest, a full requiem. Complete with a symphony, choir, and melodic heavy metal. Sang in Latin!

So there is a start. What are your favorites?

My vote is skunkweed.

Local to somewhere in texas, these guys are really talented while only playing local gigs. Their songs are absolutely hilarious and may be not very, uh, tasteful.

Grassroots rock, sprinkled in with some country, irish folk, rap, and just about anything else.

Always puts me in a better mood. I know you can download a few of their songs from their website.

at the moment Im really getting into the local metal scece (QLD & Australia)

a few of my favorites would be

Mournful Congregation - The Monad Of Creation
Forn Valdyrheim - Reminisce Eternity
Neath - The Spiders Sleep

The new zealanders have been releseing some really good stuff too
Creeping - Funeral Crawl
Dawn of Azazel - The Law of the Strong

that is all for now
:D

Alabama3 - a strange melding of country, acid-house, blues, funk, gospel, reggae, and pretty much anything else from the last 50 years of music... The band's probably best known for providing the theme tune for 'the Sopranos.' Politically astute, witty and humorous in equal parts... Has to go under the name A3 in the states due to legal threats from some prominent steak-house owners... Well worth a try...

Simian - Quirky British pop, with a twist... Think the Kinks (circa '71), Syd era Floyd & Pet Sounds era Brian Wilson - with samplers. Sometimes demented, sometimes genius... Sometimes Demented-Genius... Beautiful harmonies, hoover noises and some seriously Sub- bass...

Alabama3 are probably the more accessible, but both groups are worth a listen... Just be prepared to spend some time with them before they make sense...

Cheers... G

And a Merry Christmas to All...

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
you may want to modify your definition of "unheard of" music.

moonspell used to play on the radio (89.5FM New Jersey) 10 years ago when i was in high school. anything that is on the radio cannot be unheard of.

opeth is known by pretty much everybody just like dream theater.

agalloch ... perhaps. only one of my friends listens to it.

you got me with that virgin black though, i dont know them ... but then again i mostly listen to trance, techno, house and electro body music.

ok so you obviously like black/metal/goth/symphonic/pagan type stuff ... let me think.

The 3rd and the mortal

acacia strain

the birthday massacre

ephel duath

emilie autumn

killing ophelia

kirlian camera

neurosis

paradise lost

porcupine tree

strapping young lad

tapping the vein

theatre of tragedy

ulver

im not going to claim these artists are unknown, but maybe some are uknown to you :D

i like grimey electronic music...anything from minimal techno, psy-trance , electro, drum & bass, grime, dubstep. Radio1 with Mary Anne Hobbs has done realy well to distribute the sound of the underground to the masses. As for artists...hmmm theres so many...

Skream - Dubstep, Ragga, Dub, Grime, the main theme with this sorta music is the ephasis on using sub-bass as the bass line as apposed to mid to mid-low bass

Infected Mushroom - Israeli psy-trance Djs. Quite well known now world-wide, i'd say they difine the genre at the moment

M.I.A - Grimey electro, hip-hop, ragga, its african bass line with elctro melodys on top

Erol Alkan - much of the same from the ED-Banger lot, Justice, Diplo, Busy etc...

Noisia - HC Drum&Bass, fast beats...hard bass...metallic sounding highs

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
TheMaster620 said:
Infected Mushroom - Israeli psy-trance Djs. Quite well known now world-wide, i'd say they difine the genre at the moment

not even close. they don't define the genre, they barely belong to it.

they started out as psytrace but slowly began to cross over into pop.

at present i would say IM is only 50% psytrance. their popularity has more to do with their move away from psytrance than their "defining" it.

IM are extremely talented, but also highly commercial ... i have a love/hate attitude towards their work.

i feel the same way about IM as i feel about Metallica - namely betrayed. by the way, metallica does not define metal.

May I suggest Monty Are I - pereviously known as Monty and as Monty's Fan Club (I went to school with these guys and it looks like they may make it big soon though I wish they were still a ska band). If you want to listen to their old ska stuff (Thanks for the Mental Sign) well...good luck finding it I think only people in RI have that CD. However you can find their other two (non-ska) cds online at places like ebay.
I don't know if Vega (not the Turkish band Vega) is still around but if you can find they're stuff they are really good.

Also:
Hawkins Rise
Midnight Knife Fight
WE ARE HELLO

zayne742 said:
Is anyone else tired of the same radio dribble out there? Do you love the feeling of finding something so great, and knowing none of your friends have heard it yet? Well, what better place to share your thoughts on the Unheard, Underestimated, Underground?

Personally, I generally listen to genres spanning from Rock to the heavy stuff. But, all should be considered. Like I always say, I can hear Heavy Metal in Classical music, and vice versa. So to start:

Agalloch: Great Neo Folk rock combining a bit a death metal with very melodic Rock.

Moonspell: Very similar to Agalloch, more on the Goth side.

Opeth: If you haven't tried them, does it now!

Virgin Black: Australian. Their latest, a full requiem. Complete with a symphony, choir, and melodic heavy metal. Sang in Latin!

So there is a start. What are your favorites?

Give a try to :
thou shalt suffer: "somnium"

beautiful electronic, post-classical music with heavy roots (but not a cliche)

What I'm listening to now:
Jet Black Crayon "Low Frequency Speaker Test" minimalist electronica, lots of solo bass guitar.
Sia "Some people have real problems" one of the singers from Zero 7
Tord Gustavson "The Ground" Jazz trio from Norway
Tomasz Stanko "Suspended Night" amazing trumpet player from Norway
Porcupine Tree "anything/everything"
Dredg "anything/everything"
Elbow "anything/everything"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.