New Compact TL Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
My plan: replace my un-scientifically designed (but good looking) rear surround speakers with new carefully designed ones. The present ones are a Voight pipe kind of guess work mis-mash that I concocted a few years ago. Without any good reason, they sound half descent. For us who are never satisfied, that's not enough though. Given the excuse to start today with everybodies favourite material: baltic birch plywood, I jumped in.
First, I'll show what I am replacing. The drivers are Vifa P13WH0008 and Seas 19TAF. A great combination IMO.

Attachments

• im000801.jpg
    im000801.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 2,448
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
The line is about 65 inches long, with roughly a 3:1 taper. This line length closely matches the quarter wavelength of the driver at Fs. Using Martin King's models, I have the approximate frequency response:

Attachments

• freq res tl.gif
    freq res tl.gif
    30.8 KB · Views: 2,031
MJL21193 said:
The line is about 65 inches long, with roughly a 3:1 taper. This line length closely matches the quarter wavelength of the driver at Fs. Using Martin King's models, I have the approximate frequency response:

What is the fs of the driver ?
65" sounds a bit long to me.

You may find you get better results with a shorter line, say around 50", with a stronger taper, say 10:1. Also, you may need a larger cross-sectional area at the driver end.

The purpose of a transmission line, in my opinion, is not to augment the bass- its purpose to to effectively deal with internal resonances and standing waves. This improves midbass and lower midrange clarity, and makes the driver behave more as if it were in an infinitely large sealed box.

Transmission lines can, with the right drivers, be tuned to give bass augmentation comparable to a vented box- but as their performance approaches that of a vented box, so does their behavior. There's a fuzzy line between transmission lines, mass loaded transmission lines, and ported boxes. To me, the critical thing is that throughout the bandwidth of the woofer there is not a strong standing wave that can be excited, and there is no major reflection from the inside of the box to store energy.

B&W's Nautilus makes use of terminated tapered tubes to effectively absorb the rear wave of the drivers, allowing them to behave very much as though they are in infinitely large sealed boxes.

If you're not expecting bass, and you build your walls well so that everything is solid, then this looks like a fine design and should be very non-resonant.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
joe carrow said:
If you want them to play any kind of bass, and they're not right in a corner, then they're going to require serious correction and will not be very efficient.

owdi said:
I haven't built any TLs, but IMO, the modeled sealed response looks better than the TL. Why not just go with a sealed enclosure, if you are not going to boost the low end with the TL. Maybe I am missing something.

First, I'm not looking for a lot of base from these, there's only 86 sq.cm cone area. I want them to sound good, I want the bass to sound natural, not boomy or forced.

Second, sealed will not give better response, as far as bass goes. Even though it doesn't look like it in the graph above, there is some gain.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
joe carrow said:
The purpose of a transmission line, in my opinion, is not to augment the bass- its purpose to to effectively deal with internal resonances and standing waves. This improves midbass and lower midrange clarity, and makes the driver behave more as if it were in an infinitely large sealed box.
If you're not expecting bass, and you build your walls well so that everything is solid, then this looks like a fine design and should be very non-resonant.

Joe, my thoughts exactly. The best TL's eat the back wave from the driver, acting as an infinite baffle would (the dotted line in the graph). If bass response is improved in the process, that's good too.

Thanks for the vote of confidence
:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
cs said:

What is the fs of the driver ?
65" sounds a bit long to me.

You may find you get better results with a shorter line, say around 50", with a stronger taper, say 10:1. Also, you may need a larger cross-sectional area at the driver end.

I have re-ran the simulation over and over trying different lengths, taper ratios. 65 is pretty much ideal for this driver. A steeper taper can result in high velocity at the mouth. However, I did increase the taper to a little over 9:1 and came up with good results. velocity at the mouth is still acceptable, and bass response is improved:

Attachments

• tt2.gif
    tt2.gif
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,296
Since the bass has such low importance in this case, I'd just say that you want to make sure that there are no likely standing waves below 1khz. If the cross section is square and a large fraction of a wavelength of something inside the bandwidth of the woofer, then that's bad, unless the line has a lot of taper. I think you're on a good track here.

If it were me, I'd probably try to optimize for the smallest reasonable box. I had these as surrounds for a while, and my girlfriend hated them.

surrounds.jpg

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
joe carrow said:

If it were me, I'd probably try to optimize for the smallest reasonable box. I had these as surrounds for a while, and my girlfriend hated them.

surrounds.jpg

There's something wrong with her if she doesn't like those;)

The box size is pretty much fixed now, as I have much of the outside complete (I have left the back off in order to install the brace and divider) Just need to determine the best taper.
I'm thinking about offseting the woofer from the start of the line by a few inches, suposed to reduce some ripple. Need to run some more sims...

Attachments

• im000821.jpg
    im000821.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,292
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Further tinkering with the simulation gives me the results I think I'm looking for. Offset the driver 12" from the start of the line, increase taper ratio to ~6:1 while maintaining the same cross sectional area at the start. With minimum stuffing I have the following result:

Attachments

• tt2 12off.gif
    tt2 12off.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,252
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Moving the woofer more toward the centre of the box gives me the option of placing the tweeter either between the woofer and port or on the other side of the woofer, away from the port.
Is there a chance an MTM type effect with the first allignment?
The speaker will be mounted sideways (see photo in post#1)

Attachments

• tl surround.gif
    tl surround.gif
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,093
carefully designed ones…….For us who are never satisfied, that's not enough……

:bigeyes: Great, Now we know how to design a surround TL. Is this what you are aiming at:

B

1(1)

A great combination IMO……What I have in mind is the same size box, but a tapered line inside:…….The line is about 65 inches long, with roughly a 3:1 taper. This line length closely matches the quarter wavelength of the driver at Fs……I want this to be the best it can be given the drivers I have…..I want them to sound good, I want the bass to sound natural, not boomy or forced…….Further tinkering with the simulation gives me the results I think I'm looking for….

:)

Attachments

• surr-tl.gif
    surr-tl.gif
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,095
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
bjorno: Not sure what you are trying to show me here. You are using a more advanced version on the mathcad models than I am. If youcare to make a comment, by all meas do so, that's why I started his thread in the first place. If I am designing a dud, let me know. :)
I did notice in your first chart that you have xmax at 2mm. Xmax for this driver is +/- 4mm. Do you have the right specs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.