Tweaking B&W DM 602 s2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI!

I am planning to do some serious tweaks on my 602's, so suggestions are welcome.

1. new boxes (volume remains the same 22L) made of 25 mm real wood (oak) or 19 mm MDF than coated with 10mm ply of oak wood. Which better?
2. Does the sound change if i change the shape of boxes but volume stays the same? I was thinking of makin' them floorstanders.
3. How would i get a bit deeper bass out of them?
4. Original port seems too narrow (can get quite noisy). If i made it wider how much longer would it have to be? Original 45mm wide and 100 mm long.

Other tweaks: better internal wiring, better crossover caps & MOX resistors... am i forgetting anything???

Do you think these drivers are worth it or should i try something different?

Attachments

• 118-1863_img.jpg
    118-1863_img.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,572
Do not use wood for the cabinet. Go with MDF and veneer.
The shape of the box will effect sound. Standing wave etc will cause major changes in the responce of the system.
You will want to at least keep the width of the baffle. I assume they compensated for baffle step and you wouldn't want to loose that. Otherwise, you could build the box to be a floorstanding design.
Deeper bass 'could' be achieved by measuring the driver or obtaining TS for the driver. You would be best served by measuring it. As far as the sound quality you would need to try it.
The port could be recalculated for the same box size to see what kind of port velocity it has. You could use the same size\volume cabinet with a different port size to reduce noise. If you do that remember to adjust the volume of the cabinet for the port.
Wire and x-over parts I believe make a huge difference. Also you could use a better quality stuffing. In your case Acustastuff would be a good choice.
When you bring the tweeter over to the new box, make sure to bring the flange with it. It highly shapes the repsonce of the tweeter.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
B&W 602 S2....

Hmmm..I have the same speakers stashed away...
(Reserved for surround)
And now you put me on a new plan..:
Make them active, with help of gainclones and a simple
active crossover. Due to lack of time (too many projects),
I will go for these crossover-kits:
http://www.emblaaudio.no/products-nor.htm
(Sorry, but I think their web is in norwegian only).

But also new cabinets, as floorstanders would been nice!

Arne K
NORWAY

Re: B&W 602 S2....

Cobra2 said:
Hmmm..I have the same speakers stashed away...
(Reserved for surround)
And now you put me on a new plan..:
Make them active, with help of gainclones and a simple
active crossover. Due to lack of time (too many projects),
I will go for these crossover-kits:
http://www.emblaaudio.no/products-nor.htm
(Sorry, but I think their web is in norwegian only).

But also new cabinets, as floorstanders would been nice!

Arne K
NORWAY
That Embla stuff looks really interesting. Is it an Norwegian product. Can you control it from a PC? What are the differences between the models?
Pitty its not in English.

Funny they even show the design and give a partlist. Are they family of mr Pass? :)

sry for the offtopic :). Btw I doubt if a floorstander is "better", just more surface to resonate.

The point is that I "think" that it is more difficult to make a larger housing quiet (no resonances of the walls). Unless perhaps you fill half of it with sand. Ofcourse also internal bracings help.

Anyway there is nothing wrong with good stands, I notice you already have some :)

Of course if you need the volume for the woofers...

Anyway thanks for the info on Embla. Language will be a problem. Maybe I just have to wait for the Pass X-over.

I think i won't change box dimensions too much, maybe a bit deeper, couse i'll need extra volume if i use 22mm MDF (originally 17-18mm). I agree about floorstander, but why building bigger boxes if not using extra volume - MDF isn't that cheap(i'll make new and better stands:D )

stands:

Attachments

• b&w.jpg
    b&w.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 544
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.