glue for voice coil wires

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I am attempting to restore an old RCA speaker. I was wondering if anyone here knew what kind of adhesive most manufacturers used.

I am refering to the shiny black glue, that most older paper cone speakers had, holding down the voice coil wires.

My speaker has a 'damping ring' and 'diffuser cones', also glued with this same substance and I would like to put them back with the same.

Thanks, Eric

BUMP

After extensive searching, I had thought I had found the correct adhesive; "Airflex 400".

But upon finally obtaining some, it turns out to be a clear/white glue.

Surely someboby has tried to get the 'shiny black' glue to recone/recap/rewind some speaker.

Please help. I have googled my *#@ off, to no avail.

Thanks, Eric

Geoff,

Thanks for the reply. For the 'diffuser cones' I carefully scratched the adhesive away with an xacto knife. (Slow and used a suprising number of blades), as it was in a 'bead' on the surface.

I am replacing the surrounds, but the foam damper was also glued on with it and I have a new one.

I have restored cars, amps and furniture. Restoring a paper object is new for me. I will check into bitumen paint. What is it used for? (In case we have a different name for it here).

Eric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.