The "Elsinore Project" Thread

June 6th of June, 2014

IT'S OFFICIAL - ANNOUNCING HAMLET MK2 DETAILS:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

CROSSOVER:

Crossover_Publish.gif

TWEAKING CROSSOVER:

The L1 listed is 0.47mH, but this is the one Crossover component that those who wish to might tweak - by reducing the value but not lower than 0.33mH. If you do, share your thoughts about the result. Lowering the value will make the midrange a little more forward. At the moment I like the balance that 0.47mH is giving me.

MODELED RESPONSE:

Freq_Response_SE.gif

MODELED FAMILY:

Hamlet_SE_Family.gif

ACTUAL MEASURED IMPEDANCE AND ELECTRICAL PHASE:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That's it for now.

Cheers, Joe

Last edited:
...I and others have used this 9mH from Jaycay/Electus and two gives you 18mH and price is somewhat more reasonable...

Just a reminder that you will only get 18mH if you minimize coupling between the two 9mH iron cores. You could wind up with anything between 15mH and 35mH depending on orientation, proximity, and polarity. You may be able take advantage of this fact to save a little $, or use some inductors you already own. For example, I used two 6mH I hand on hand to make my 18mH inductor.

More info here: (See 2nd bold topic, and Attachment #1, #2, #3)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/97043-elsinore-project-thread-114.html#post3003602

Can I use Monacor WG-300 waveguide? It's cheaper compared to cnc waveguide.

Noooo can do. I had some Wavecores a while back and know them well.

I am about to go overseas and when I come back I know somebody who is an industrial designer and we hope to make a big batch of them on a lathe. The only think that we need to consider is the material, it may well be a good quality acrylic, but we shall see. Then make it available on my website for a reasonable cost including postage.

Cheers, Joe

Hi Joe,

So how do they sound?

That is really for others to say, but I am very pleased. It is not on the same level of improvement that Mark 5 was over earlier iterations, but the availability of this newer driver, it's relative low cost, incredibly low inductance (hence lower non-linearity), better balanced T-S Parameters that worked in the Elsinore boxes without the need to rework the box alignment... I was drawn into almost as if against by intentions, so there you are. And I do think you can hear the improvement and it will be up to others to evaluate and see if the agree.

Cheers, Joe

Wow...I'm glad I found this thread. I am wanting to upgrade my speakers and I am on the fence. I won't go into that since what is really important is the following.

I built the Troels Graveson Nomex 164 kit. From day one they have been too harsh for my ears, but at low levels they sound impressive.( I increased the attenuation resistor by 2 db if I remember right.) I don't get to listen them loud much since I have an 18 month old baby, but yesterday I had an opportunity and the listening fatigue is almost instant.

I thought it was the tweeter, but now I'm wondering if it is the xover design?! I am seriously considering this build now, any input is greatly appreciated!

I have a set of old Sapphire III's, and they had almost no listening fatigue.

Thanks in advance!!!

Wow...I'm glad I found this thread. I am wanting to upgrade my speakers and I am on the fence. I won't go into that since what is really important is the following.

I built the Troels Graveson Nomex 164 kit. From day one they have been too harsh for my ears, but at low levels they sound impressive.( I increased the attenuation resistor by 2 db if I remember right.) I don't get to listen them loud much since I have an 18 month old baby, but yesterday I had an opportunity and the listening fatigue is almost instant.

I thought it was the tweeter, but now I'm wondering if it is the xover design?! I am seriously considering this build now, any input is greatly appreciated!

I have a set of old Sapphire III's, and they had almost no listening fatigue.

Thanks in advance!!!

looking at the freq response of NOMEX 164, it should not be harsh. perhaps double check your build to make sure its within specs and the crossover properly wired?

cheers
Henry

hmm...interesting....I used the soldering tag strips Troels recommends, but I have had issues with good contact with the ones I bought. Maybe I need to rewire my crossovers! I soldered everything but those tag strips don't seem to make good soldering points! I have had several issues! We rearranged our listening room recently, and the center channel I built started having issues. The tweeter kept going in and out.

Although, wouldn't the driver just not work?

hmm...interesting....I used the soldering tag strips Troels recommends, but I have had issues with good contact with the ones I bought. Maybe I need to rewire my crossovers! I soldered everything but those tag strips don't seem to make good soldering points! I have had several issues! We rearranged our listening room recently, and the center channel I built started having issues. The tweeter kept going in and out.

Although, wouldn't the driver just not work?

i have no idea, without photos its hard to check the problems. perhaps create a new thread to solve your issues with the 164?

I thought it was the tweeter, but now I'm wondering if it is the xover design?!

Joe sorry for the o/t.
but.
I've built a pair of Troels nomex164's for a freind, and they are anything but harsh.
very smooth and musical, if anything maybe a touch bass heavy.
did you use the 'superior' caps for mid and tweeter ?
my experience tells me this location is very important.

Joe sorry for the o/t.
but.
I've built a pair of Troels nomex164's for a freind, and they are anything but harsh.
very smooth and musical, if anything maybe a touch bass heavy.
did you use the 'superior' caps for mid and tweeter ?
my experience tells me this location is very important.

Thanks for the input...I used the Audyn Plus caps..."harsh" may not be an accurate description...they sound as you said "smooth and musical"...but at loud levels fatiguing.

Sorry if I partially hi-jacked this thread...same drivers and so thats why I posted here.

I'll try better caps as you suggest! If they make a difference I'll build the Elsinores for sure!

I really like the way these sound at moderate levels..very impressive.

But I know enough about speaker building and xovers to know I don't know MUCH! So maybe changing some components will make the difference.

Here's the truth...I am so pleased with these Nomex 164's that I can't hardly rest until I build something better! It's not so much I am not happy, but more about I want to make them better and make the right choice on the next build!

So if it's the xover I need to improve I can eliminate the drivers as the problem. (And build the Elsinores with confidence!)

Like I said... I know enough to know how little I know!

i'm sorry to be blunt, but by just changing caps won't get rid of the harshness, unless its a different value.

you will need to check if your speakers FR is the same as published by Troels, or at least trace the crossover and check their values if its as spec'ed.

harshness happens within 1-3khz region, so i assume this is where the transfer function happens between midrange and tweeters.

Again, without further hijacking Joe's thread, if you want to make sure the build is correct, please create another thread, or email Troels about your issues :)

cheers
Henry

i'm sorry to be blunt, but by just changing caps won't get rid of the harshness, unless its a different value.

Sorry to disagree, but it did for me. I started with Solen caps and always had a harshness, especially at higher volumes, that I could never quite pin down. I started to think it was just my aging ears. Changed the tweeter series cap to oil filled caps and harshness gone and the treble seems more precise and clearer at the same time. I know that many folks think Solens are like that, but it was hard to believe until I changed the caps.

It could also be marginal solder joints as implied.

Good luck with the quest,
John