The "Elsinore Project" Thread

tinitus said:
Nice one, Joe :cool: and in line with what some of us were thinking, I supppose...but just didnt have the answer :D

I NEED SOMEBODY LOCAL TO BUILD THE BOX.

And I suppose that any who went ahead on the above recommendations now, then as soon as I get a chance to confirm above measurements I can post the results of the above crossover changes here on this thread.

Just keep in mind that the front baffle should have the same width etc.

Another point, when used as a lateral Centre Channel speaker, then the Tweeter should be a little lower or a little higher, say 10-20 degrees above or below with respect to the listening position, for the flattest response in the top octaves.

Another thing that comes to mind, this will be a near 16 Ohm speaker because the two 6.5" drivers are in series - but the Tweeter 's lower impedance prevents it from officially to be rated as such. Bottom line though, a very easy load on the amplifier.

When I get a little time I will also post some prelim drawings. We have the potential for a suitable companion Elsinore speaker - and if it goes ahead I need to think of a name matching "Elsinore" theme. (Hamlet?)

One more and final point. Still use the Elsinores as main Left and Right, but when used as Rear Channels, a suitable stand(s) that gets the Tweeter near listening height is required. I leave that to your imagination as to what solution you might employ.

Joe R.

HI GUYS

SOMETHING JUST CAME TO MIND.

I GET EMAILS ASKING VARIOUS QUESTIONS AND SPEND A LOT OF TIME ON THEM - MAYBE THESE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE AS OTHERS WOULD LIKELY ASK SIMILAR QUESTIONS. WOULD THAT BE APPRECIATED HERE?

The questioner will be asked for permission before posting - to avoid any potential embarrassment - edited down as much as possible. Also, they will be encouraged to actually post the questions here and avoid the direct emails. Time is a valuable commodity.

Joe R.

Something like this:

Concept_Lateral.gif

Joe R.

The basic dimensions, such as width and depth, are kept the same. The height has been reduced from 1150mm to 666mm. The box, viewed from the front, is now symmetrical laterally and vertically. For example, cut the box in two laterally through the centre of the Tweeter and Top and Bottom will be mirror imgae pairs, do likewise for vertical and Left and Right side of the box will be mirror image pairs. This was something John Dunleavy preached, but for the Centre Channel is a strict requirement, as I see it.

Here is a internal Side View:

Side_View.gif

The internal Main Brace becomes a classic "Figure 8" brace. Compare with the Elsinore constrcution and you can see that the main features have been retained.

Joe R.

ttan98 said:
Joe,

I have not read through all the documentations on your website on this project.

one quick question, Are there any advantages using mid bass 1 and 2 in series rather than parallel, similarly for midbass 3 & 4.

please explain.

thanks.

The are in series, which is a bit unusual but deliberate in the case. The two top drivers, the one above the Tweeter and the one immediately below is in series. Like the bottom two drivers are in series.

Joe R.

Joe Rasmussen said:

The are in series, which is a bit unusual but deliberate in the case. The two top drivers, the one above the Tweeter and the one immediately below is in series. Like the bottom two drivers are in series.

Joe R.

Joe,

I have a similar set of commercial speakers with similar config as yours, ie MTMWW, MM and WW are the same model. I like to parallel the MM and also separately the WW to get more SPL. Would it work equally well, obviously I have to retune the x-over myself.

Any pit falls to avoid ? Please elaborate, thanks.

ttan98 said:

Joe,

I have a similar set of commercial speakers with similar config as yours, ie MTMWW, MM and WW are the same model. I like to parallel the MM and also separately the WW to get more SPL. Would it work equally well, obviously I have to retune the x-over myself.

Any pit falls to avoid ? Please elaborate, thanks.

Pitfalls? How about a (potentially) 2 Ohm speaker system? How do you intend compensating for diffraction loss?

As it is, the current series/parallel configuration of the Elsinores give you a nominal 8 Ohm load. If you parallel first before series, then you'd have to do a series crossover (Elsinores uses parallel crossover). I am afraid you are on your own and whatever you end up with, they won't be an Elsinore speaker.

Joe R.

Joe Rasmussen said:

Pitfalls? How about a (potentially) 2 Ohm speaker system? How do you intend compensating for diffraction loss?

As it is, the current series/parallel configuration of the Elsinores give you a nominal 8 Ohm load. If you parallel first before series, then you'd have to do a series crossover (Elsinores uses parallel crossover). I am afraid you are on your own and whatever you end up with, they won't be an Elsinore speaker.

Joe R.

I can always go active, also no longer Elsinores....

Just a thought.

thanks for your time...

Meataxe said:

Rob323, nice boxes - did you rebate (flush mount) the mid/bass drivers?

Joe I note you don't recommend this, any comments?

A very good looking project I look forward to more discussion about the centre channel!

Yes, I am aware he did that. If you can flush mount them, then I won't object - the slight change in relative to Tweeter offset is such that they will focus at slightly greater than 1.6M I did the published the Step Response - so it is actually still with +/- 2.5mm acceptable range. There is also a very slight diffraction effect difference, but is so small as to be inconsequential.

The real reason I did not specify flush mount is that I didn't want discourage those who would have difficulty, like me. :xeye: Not flush mounting hides a multitude of sins, the edge of the hole is hidden. But I see Rob knew how to do a good job of it.

A less than perfect flush mounting of the Tweeter is also nicely hidden by the felt. This should definitely be flush or the felt won't fit properly.

Re the Centre Channel - I don't need one for myself (yet) but if somebody will do the box, then we could go ahead with it. I am in the South-West of Sydney - so anybody near here wants a Centre Channel speaker (that can also be used vertically in multi-channel setups)? I'll do the rest. The crossover shown should be OK but it is provisional.

Joe R.

When it came to flush mounting the Peerless drivers, instead of rebating the front baffle by 3mm (which would have changed the time alignment), I glued a 3mm sheet of mdf to the front baffle and increased the length of the sides by the same. This way, the time alignment was preserved.
Although cutting out 16 little fillets to glue in due to the shape of the Peerless drivers was a real pain, but it works - sort of.
IMG_371309.jpg

rob323 said:
When it came to flush mounting the Peerless drivers, instead of rebating the front baffle by 3mm (which would have changed the time alignment), I glued a 3mm sheet of mdf...

Although cutting out 16 little fillets to glue in due to the shape of the Peerless drivers was a real pain, but it works - sort of.

Hey Rob, that was clever. And I thought I was presenting a design that devoid of any difficulty in tricky building, and then you.... invent one! :bigeyes:

Nevertheless, well done.

Joe R.

Ahhh all those little tricks you learn along the way!:cool:

So I've satisfied myself about the enclosures (like the KISS principle!) and the drivers - but the electronics are another story.

Can anyone volunteer a couple of pictures of their x-overs? Not sure I can come to grips with 10 speaker cables a side!

Any recommendations for x-over components, I am in the middle of surfing Madisound and there is a heck of a selection!

Thanks in advance for the help:D

Rabbitz,

Thanks for the link. I will be interested in getting some MOX resistors and possible Jantzen caps.

Have you actually bought items from them before? The Website has no address, no telephone number, no "about us", basically nothing except part and price lists and possibly a payment system, ... I would not know who I would be paying to.

Regards,
Bill