Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

The "Elsinore Project" Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2019, 04:37 AM   #2561
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Note: those large iron-core inductors can sometimes "buzz".

Might be best to wrap them tightly with some Kapton tape..
Old 8th October 2019, 10:44 AM   #2562
dmcgown is offline dmcgown  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
dmcgown,

Good to see you getting closer to completion - what color are you going for the cabinets?
I am painting with Duratex tinted the pastel blue-grey you see in the photo (my initial primer coat). It will provide a nice contrast with the black drivers. I have experience from another project applying this with a fine foam roller so that the texture has an even, matte appearance instead of a more aggressive orange peel look suggested by the manufacturer. It hardens to a very durable, scratch and chip resistant finish.

David
Old 8th October 2019, 10:47 AM   #2563
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Note: those large iron-core inductors can sometimes "buzz".

Might be best to wrap them tightly with some Kapton tape..
Thanks for the tip, I just ordered some Kapton tape. Though the inductors are pretty tightly wound.

David
Old 8th October 2019, 08:22 PM   #2564
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

I have some that produce audible "buzz/hum" at higher input levels. Others, don't - sort of a "luck of the draw", and often most of it is near the "leads" from the inductor ..and even their "support" section, which is a good place for hot glue.

You can also "spot" glue the coils at multiple points with a hot glue gun - but that's something you have to do under-test.

Last edited by ScottG; 8th October 2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11th October 2019, 07:50 PM   #2565
daanve is offline daanve  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

link:
Elsinore speaker kit
Old 14th October 2019, 12:43 PM   #2566
diyAudio Member

Default Close to Finished

Had a very productive weekend, completing the wiring harness for the crossovers, installing the Dacron batting and crossovers, and finally bringing the cabinets inside for final assembly. One speaker is complete, save for the terminals at the back, the other still awaits the drivers.

Plan on finishing them tonight after work. I have spiked outrigger stands to attach which will raise the speaker by 2 inches (50 mm).

The speakers on the outside of the Elsinores are a pair of Zalytron/Orca Aria 5R speakers on top of powered subwoofers.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191013_213104.jpg (773.2 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg 20191013_181105.jpg (409.4 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg 20191013_155938.jpg (760.3 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg 20191013_154241.jpg (606.5 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 20191013_102531.jpg (956.6 KB, 206 views)
Old 14th October 2019, 12:58 PM   #2567
SRMcGee is offline SRMcGee  United States
diyAudio Member

David:

Stellar work! After you’ve lived with your new Elsinores for a while, you might consider adding a bypass cap across C1; I used a 0.01 uF 3000v Cornell Dubilier 940C in that position to nice effect.

Congratulations,
Scott
Old 14th October 2019, 01:26 PM   #2568
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I have a pair of those caps in my parts bin, so can add later. Looking forward to hearing these for the first time...still a bit more work, but hopefully they will be singing tonight.

David
Old 14th October 2019, 04:59 PM   #2569
mbrennwa is online now mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgown View Post
Had a very productive weekend, completing the wiring harness for the crossovers, installing the Dacron batting and crossovers, and finally bringing the cabinets inside for final assembly. One speaker is complete, save for the terminals at the back, the other still awaits the drivers.

Plan on finishing them tonight after work. I have spiked outrigger stands to attach which will raise the speaker by 2 inches (50 mm).

The speakers on the outside of the Elsinores are a pair of Zalytron/Orca Aria 5R speakers on top of powered subwoofers.

David

Are those screws in the inductors non-magnetic?

Also, I would suggest to keep the inductors further away from each other, and at 90 degree angles relative to each other where possible.
Old 14th October 2019, 05:10 PM   #2570
diyAudio Member

The inductors on the lower mid-bass section are oriented 90 deg from each other so that field lines do not pass through the axis of the adjacent inductor. The screws through the foil inductors are brass. Keep in mind I have separate boards for the tweeter, mid-bass and lower mid-bass, placed in different locations in the enclosure. The picture is that I posted just shows all the crossover boards for both speakers laying on the workbench, and not intended to represent the actual installed layout.

David

Last edited by dmcgown; 14th October 2019 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Clarification

The "Elsinore Project" ThreadHide this!Advertise here!