Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

The "Elsinore Project" Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2019, 07:58 AM   #2511
gadut is offline gadut  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

any update on Hamlet center channel? or do i miss it on previous pages?
Old 28th June 2019, 06:51 PM   #2512
a007udio is offline a007udio  Europe
diyAudio Member

Im planning to build the Elsinore speakers and after reading the whole thread i made the crossover BOM.
Any suggestion to make best possible price performance option?

L1 3.9mH Air Core Coil 0.66 ohm 1.4mm / 15 AWG
L2 0.47mH Foil Coil 0.17 ohm 14 AWG
L3 2mH Air Core Coil 0.44 ohm 1.4mm / 15 AWG
L4 20mH Iron Core + Disc 0.93 ohm 1mm / 18 AWG
L5 0.1mH Air Core Coil 0.08 ohm 1.4mm / 15 AWG

C1 1.8uF Jantzen Superior Z-Cap
C2 33uF Jantzen Cross Cap MKP
C3 300uF Bi-polar 100V
C4 33uF Jantzen Cross Cap MKP
C? 0.47uF Audin Cap MKP Plus

R1 2 ohm Jantzen Superes Resistor 10W
R2 6.2 ohm MOX 10W
R3 9 ohm MOX 10W
R? 6.8 ohm MOX 10W

Another thing is damping material. I can get Sonofil. Is this ok? What did you fellas from Europe use?
Old 9th July 2019, 09:29 AM   #2513
Ranchu32 is offline Ranchu32  Australia
diyAudio Member

irext, if you are reading this thread and have some spare crossover pcbs for sale or would be prepared to share your Gerbers so I can order a batch, it would be great to hear from you.
Old 10th July 2019, 12:37 AM   #2514
irext is offline irext  Australia
diyAudio Member

The crossover pcbs were done on Protel and are xx.pcb files. PM me and I'll work out how to send you the files. It's split up into two pcb's. One for the tweeter and one for the 4 midwoofers. PCB manufacturers will recognise Protel files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchu32 View Post
irext, if you are reading this thread and have some spare crossover pcbs for sale or would be prepared to share your Gerbers so I can order a batch, it would be great to hear from you.
Old 8th August 2019, 03:06 PM   #2515
90TSIAWD is offline 90TSIAWD  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgown View Post
Just received a package from Madisound yesterday with (8) SB17MFC35-8 woofers and (2) D2608/9130 dome tweeters, so now committed and starting on the project.

Still working on the planning on my cabinets. I am finding it easier to find 18mm Baltic Birch plywood locally than 1" MDF. I did a quick beam calc comparing the two materials, taking into account that Young's Modulus for 18 mm BB is around 10 GPa with the grain of the outer veneer, and 7.5 GPa across the grain (this is from a document from the Finnish Plywood Industry). MDF has a Young's modulus of around 3.6 GPa. Anyway, the calculated stiffness for a 1 meter length with the same load distribution is virtually the same between two materials (assuming the BB outer veneer grain runs longitudinally. (i.e. 18mm BB Ply = 1" MDF). Understand that MDF has better self damping, but I think a few mm of bitumen pads should help with that.

Excited to get started, I was pretty tempted by some of Troels Gravensen's designs, but I think that a decade+ long evolutionary design and alot of builder success stories outweigh designs quickly developed (although by all appearances and builder success stories, very nice designs as well).

David
I called around and found a place that has 1" in stock in VA and takes a day to get it to any other warehouse. Its 75 a sheet. TWPerry is who it is. If you potentially want everything CNC'd PM me, I Have a buddy who's going to be doing mine once i start them.
Old 8th August 2019, 03:14 PM   #2516
dmcgown is offline dmcgown  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90TSIAWD View Post
I called around and found a place that has 1" in stock in VA and takes a day to get it to any other warehouse. Its 75 a sheet. TWPerry is who it is. If you potentially want everything CNC'd PM me, I Have a buddy who's going to be doing mine once i start them.
Thanks. That is good to know. I would like to know more about the CNC arrangement, so will PM you on this. I would save alot of work.

I just finished making a press (2'x4' torsion boxes) for laminating two sheets together to achieve 1" with 1/2" material. Fortunately, I have not bought any material yet, so they can double as work surfaces for assembly.
Old 14th August 2019, 06:50 AM   #2517
Joe Rasmussen is offline Joe Rasmussen  Australia
diyAudio Member

I have had problems posting graphics from my website here, so I will try again.

Click the image to open in full size.

The Blue is the newer MFC driver and the Red is the NRXC driver.

These measurements were taken before and after the drivers were fitted. The difference at 500Hz to 2KHz may be explained because while the exact distance was preserved, but not necessarily the exact height. So please make allowance for that - but I am pleased.

I will also add the graphic to the attachment below, in case there is a problem.

Joe R.
Attached Images
File Type: gif EL-6_BlueMFC_RedNRXC.gif (29.7 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by Joe Rasmussen; 14th August 2019 at 06:53 AM.
Old 14th August 2019, 07:11 PM   #2518
BeanAnimal is offline BeanAnimal  United States
diyAudio Member

Guys - other than some DIY drawings posted here and there in the thread and some images on Joe's site - I do not see a fully compiled dimensions, drawings, BOM, Schematic download or link for ANY version MK1 - MK6

What I am missing here? One should not have to examine 250+ pages of a thread to find the actual full build documents.

@Joe: Why not work with the moderators to edit the FIRST post in the thread to index the most important pages in this thread - where specific relevant items or changes are posted/mentioned?

Last edited by BeanAnimal; 14th August 2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 14th August 2019, 07:12 PM   #2519
BeanAnimal is offline BeanAnimal  United States
diyAudio Member

Joe - I sent an email but not sure to the right mailbox:

"Pro" version with Satori drivers mentioned twice in this thread, one of them a few pages back.

Status? Worth the upgrade cost?
Old 15th August 2019, 01:47 AM   #2520
ashaw is offline ashaw  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi BeanAnimal.

The construction documents are on Joe's website. The crossover is on the front page, and the cabinet drawings are linked from the index.

The "Elsinore Project" ThreadHide this!Advertise here!