Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

The "Elsinore Project" Thread
The "Elsinore Project" Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2019, 12:27 PM   #2461
dmcgown is offline dmcgown  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pguerin View Post
Hi David,

FYI I've build my Elsinore with 19 mm MDF and bitumen pads.
I've reduced depth of the boxes from 380 mm to 360 mm to keep the same internal volume.

BR, Pascal
Pascal,

Thanks for the info, and the picture of your speakers. What thickness of bitumen pads did you use? From what I have read, one needs to build up a pretty thick layer to effectively dampen the enclosure walls, something like 6 to 8 mm, which would take up most of the increased volume if the exterior dimensions are the same. Is the enclosure quiet and free of resonances? I have also been considering use of CLD by adding 1/4" (6mm) HDF panels bonded with a thick layer of polyurethane glue, which retains some resiliency instead of using bitumen pads.

David
Old 16th May 2019, 01:41 AM   #2462
OZmOZis is offline OZmOZis  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Joe. When checking the driver specs for the SB17NRXC35-8-UC, they supply the details for the SB17NRXC35-8. Does this mean they perform exactly the same? What does the coating achieve? I have ordered 2 of the SB17NRXC35-8-UC as just in case spares.
Old 16th May 2019, 06:37 AM   #2463
pguerin is offline pguerin  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgown View Post
Pascal,

Thanks for the info, and the picture of your speakers. What thickness of bitumen pads did you use? From what I have read, one needs to build up a pretty thick layer to effectively dampen the enclosure walls, something like 6 to 8 mm, which would take up most of the increased volume if the exterior dimensions are the same. Is the enclosure quiet and free of resonances? I have also been considering use of CLD by adding 1/4" (6mm) HDF panels bonded with a thick layer of polyurethane glue, which retains some resiliency instead of using bitumen pads.

David

I've used 7 mm bitumen pads (5.5mm felt + 1.5mm bitumen pad) :

Insonorisant Infrasound feutre sur masse bitumeuse - comptoirauto.com

I've build my Nomex 164 from TG before the Elsinore also with this combo MDF 19 mm + 7 mm bitumen pads. Both enclosure are OK for me IMHO.

BR Pascal
Old Today, 09:28 AM   #2464
Ranchu32 is offline Ranchu32  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
i would use the coated ones for the upper two and the uncoated the lower two.

Noted.

The extra woofers arrived from WES today and I transferred funds to you for the wave guides, so the plan is starting to come together.

I had planned to build the cabinets myself, but realistically given time constraints and lack of woodworking experience, it could be a year or more until they materialise.

I bought a pair of 3 way floor standers several years ago from Adelaide Speakers and am very satisfied with the construction, and recently read that the company has built cabinets for DIY projects. I will ask Edward from Adelaide if he can build me a pair of Elsinore cabinets, but thought I'd check whether there are any other recommended Australian cabinet makers.
Old Today, 11:17 AM   #2465
Joe Rasmussen is offline Joe Rasmussen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZmOZis View Post
Hi Joe. When checking the driver specs for the SB17NRXC35-8-UC, they supply the details for the SB17NRXC35-8. Does this mean they perform exactly the same? What does the coating achieve? I have ordered 2 of the SB17NRXC35-8-UC as just in case spares.
The difference is very marginal and with these drivers very light.

Where the coating is likely to have an influence is at those frequencies above which the cone no longer acts as a piston. This means the flexing of the cone in a controlled way. There will always be arguments about coating versus no coating. The Elsinore design is different in some ways, that overly correcting for these effects are in fact more likely to be detrimental and this has to do with the fact that the Elsinores are more about getting the current right as a higher priority - that a nominal fix in voltage terms is cause for a less well understood problem on the current side. I put current as a priority over voltage, every day, every time. The results 'speak' for themselves.

Of course, there will always be some who argues with that, but I just play the Elsinores for them and ask if they hear any problem? The lack of any harshness and audible distortion at those upper mid frequencies and lower treble, in fact these speakers are very easy on ear, despite the fact some may think it should not be. I hear people say they are detailed and not harsh mentioned all the time.
Old Today, 11:21 AM   #2466
Joe Rasmussen is offline Joe Rasmussen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchu32 View Post
The extra woofers arrived from WES today and I transferred funds to you for the wave guides, so the plan is starting to come together.
They will be posted on Wednesday, tied up tomorrow, so you have plenty of time to knock them up quickly.

Seriously, a year to make them? Hopefully quicker, but a year is not unusual.

The "Elsinore Project" ThreadHide this!Advertise here!