The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Got the crossovers changed over last night. As mentioned, I already was running the Purifis in my Mark V so given they were already mounted, it was overall a pretty quick transition. Also re-shortened the port to 80mm length for tube approx 86mm in diameter.

First impressions are very similar to when I swapped initially - the Purifis are able to resolve a lot of detail. Voices to my ears sound a bit crisper than before. Speakers remain very balanced, and overall vs my temporary config, everything is now more refined. Overall they sound terrific Joe - I’ll post more as I listen more but my initial impressions are these are easily the best speakers I’ve heard. Thank you so much for your work!

FYI my setup is a modified Yamaha cx-a5100 which has a ESS Sabre 9016 DAC, with front outputs bypassed from after the DAC before volume control IC to a custom external Muses chip based volume control preamp, then to a set of neurochrome 286 amps. Overall the system with your speakers (including a HDS era Hamlet center - insert Purifi Hamlet plug here ;) )makes a fantastic heart of my home theatre.

Attachments

• 08B58368-BBC9-49CB-AFA0-709C4AD91826.jpeg
    08B58368-BBC9-49CB-AFA0-709C4AD91826.jpeg
    470 KB · Views: 318
  • 0D16AAE8-921D-4948-85C6-B3EDE92A82F0.jpeg
    0D16AAE8-921D-4948-85C6-B3EDE92A82F0.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 354
  • AD339EEC-2054-4D4E-A32E-1EC17F168A41.jpeg
    AD339EEC-2054-4D4E-A32E-1EC17F168A41.jpeg
    400.8 KB · Views: 322
  • 0DF8649C-CF16-45DF-B2F0-DBBF5D8AAE5A.jpeg
    0DF8649C-CF16-45DF-B2F0-DBBF5D8AAE5A.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 330
First impressions are very similar to when I swapped initially - the Purifis are able to resolve a lot of detail. Voices to my ears sound a bit crisper than before. Speakers remain very balanced, and overall vs my temporary config, everything is now more refined. Overall they sound terrific Joe - I’ll post more as I listen more but my initial impressions are these are easily the best speakers I’ve heard. Thank you so much for your work!
this kind of impression that will never get into all those previous attack to Joe's FREE design. all they care is about their knowledge to be glorified, where for everyone who already build or is in process to build can say "We don't care & don't your suggestion at all, we accept what Joe gave us" 😁

anyway congratulations, i can only envy those Purifi since i can only afford NRX.

Reactions: 2 users
Was watching the movie Incendies last night - this movie has a couple of scenes with tanks and buses rolling by. One of things I love about these speakers is they project so well that in these scenes the sound of the scene environment envelops you - the power transfer into the room lets you actually feel the low frequency effects like these tanks passing you by. Another scene I use to demo is the final episode of Mandalorian season 2 where the dark troopers are breaking down the blast door - their punches into the blast door create a thump with enough power to be felt as a shockwave in the room - without a subwoofer connected in my system. Notably some of this power transfer had been lost when I had initially installed the Purifis using the mark V crossover. It’s back now with the officially posted crossover. Just extremely happy with these.

Also - to clarify my above post the intake is 86mm ID, so similar to the 87mm Joe suggested.

Last edited:
These are photos from over a month ago. Unfortunately, I have so many responsibilities now that the work has stopped. I already have all the components, electrical and mechanical, for the speakers.
It will be a few more weeks before I return to my workshop. I believe that in September at the latest I will be able to enjoy Elsinore ULD. If I resume garage operations, I will definitely show off my progress.

Attachments

• IMG_0785.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0786.jpg
    IMG_0786.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 154
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Joe:

I'm working on a BOM for a Hamlet project. Can you clarify what is included in the "Pair Kit" (your product code KB2)? Also, I'm having trouble here in the US sourcing some of the Jantzen components you suggested for the Hamlet, which means care must be taken that alternate parts fit your black pcb. Can you confirm that the components you suggested fit in the spaces provided on your black pcb? If so, I can use the dimensions of those hard-to-source parts as guidance for replacements.

All Hamlet builders:

Can you share what you used for the port?

Many thanks,
Scott

Hello All,

I have a pair of original made in Denmark HDS Nomex 830875 drivers in ~0.5 FT^3 sealed enclosures also installed in my bench speakers are original XT25 tweeters I just purchased a pair of D2608/913000 to test drive.
These bench speakers are similar to the JR minis in this thread.

If anyone can help, is there a suitable crossover circuit floating about?

For grins here is a test plot of the HDS Nomex 830875 driver in the sealed enclosure.

Thanks DT

Level and Distortion -_ Smooth.JPG

Last edited:
Hello All,

There is a lot of nerd in me too.

I purchased a pair of waveguides that are on the airplane that left AU yesterday.

I have two pairs of D2608/913000 Tweeters on their way from Madisound as I type this.

Already on the shelf are pairs of XT25 and DX25 Tweeters.

I will post FR, Impedance, electrical phase and T/S Parameters of the tweeters and woofer if anyone wants to lean in and help with a crossover circuit for this not so mini pair of 2-Way sealed Bench speakers.

I tend to shy away from ported speakers that cross over too high because of all the port noise and distortions.

Thanks DT

On my bench; AP555 analyzer, AP Acoustic software and calibrated GRAS microphones.

Hello All,

There is a lot of nerd in me too.

I purchased a pair of waveguides that are on the airplane that left AU yesterday.

I have two pairs of D2608/913000 Tweeters on their way from Madisound as I type this.

Already on the shelf are pairs of XT25 and DX25 Tweeters.

I will post FR, Impedance, electrical phase and T/S Parameters of the tweeters and woofer if anyone wants to lean in and help with a crossover circuit for this not so mini pair of 2-Way sealed Bench speakers.

I tend to shy away from ported speakers that cross over too high because of all the port noise and distortions.

Thanks DT

On my bench; AP555 analyzer, AP Acoustic software and calibrated GRAS microphones.
Why not start your own thread? This thread is about another concept and it's relative(s). Joe's Elsinore (in more than one variety) and Hamlet.

DT,

Looks like you are getting all set for a fun project.

I would second wesayso's suggestion - better to start your own thread.

This particular thread is about Joe's Elsinore speaker project (and the Hamlet) along with build discussions, pics, questions etc.

You will probably end up doing a fine design of your own, but it will not be an Elsinore or a Hamlet. :)