Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

The "Elsinore Project" Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2015, 02:06 AM   #2041
Clausen is offline Clausen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Close but no cigar...

My plans to work on and finish these speakers didn't quite work out.

I had to watch my little girl Saturday, and today I tried to get them done but ran out of 2 things...time and primer. I use a 2k primer which gives the cabs a really strong substrate, and I have 3 different colors, and of course I ran out of the black. Which is fine because I would have been really upset if I could have finished them if I'd had the time and ran out of primer.

I'll get the primer tomorrow and if I get done early enough them be finished for sure tomorrow!

Here's the progress so far....I stuffed them with "Acousta-Stuf" Acousta-Stuf Polyfill Speaker Cabinet Damping Material 5 lb. Bag

The stuff fit in the back no problem, but I had to use spray adhesive to use it in the front of the cab. I tried not to use too much because it tends to work really well, and as it use I still used a fair amount of it.

Here's the newest pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150912_214535.jpg (265.7 KB, 602 views)
File Type: jpg 20150912_214516.jpg (249.4 KB, 580 views)
File Type: jpg 20150913_001305.jpg (268.0 KB, 561 views)
File Type: jpg 20150913_193212.jpg (278.0 KB, 552 views)
File Type: jpg 20150913_203353.jpg (287.4 KB, 556 views)
Old 15th September 2015, 12:43 AM   #2042
diyAudio Member

Default Painted...

I stayed home from work today, because my little girl got me sick, so I finished the paint work on these cabinets. I probably shouldn't have because I really feel like crap now...but the painting is done. I have to do a little wet sanding and buffing when I get the chance and then I can install the drivers and we are in business.

I'm curious, on a side note should I make a build page for these separate from this thread?

Here's what they look like so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150914_181031.jpg (330.6 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg 20150914_181000.jpg (343.6 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 20150914_181008.jpg (311.9 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg 20150914_180928.jpg (352.0 KB, 250 views)
Old 15th September 2015, 07:24 AM   #2043
SRMcGee is offline SRMcGee  United States
diyAudio Member

Clausen:

Wow. Even without the final clean-up and buffing, they look very, very nice!

Regards,
Scott
Old 16th September 2015, 11:29 AM   #2044
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clausen View Post
I'm curious, on a side note should I make a build page for these separate from this thread?

Nah, leave your build documented right here. Easier for folks to keep up with.

The paint job sure did turn out nice. I guess being in the business really came in handy. Nice work indeed.

Really starting to come together now. Can't wait to see the final results.
Old 16th September 2015, 10:41 PM   #2045
Joe Rasmussen is offline Joe Rasmussen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Matey... a lot of hard work.

-
Old 19th September 2015, 09:19 PM   #2046
diyAudio Member

Default Done!!!!

Well, I got home on Tuesday after the cabs were painted and decided to finish the build since it was only going to take a couple hours...10 hours later at 3am they were done...lol.

I got one cabinet all done and started on the second one and broke off the positive terminal. Odd thing is I had the exact same thing happen on the Nomex build...not too happy about that, but I was able to fix that other tweeter so I did the same thing with this one.

I removed the voice coil, and soldered a solid small gauge copper wire to the voice coil terminal. And it worked/works!

So the sound....

OMG...let me say that again...Oh MY God!!!! Wow...it's safe to say I am extremely PLEASED!

First let me talk about the detail coming from these speakers...amazing...truly amazing. And the best part is NON-fatiguing!!! Absolutely incredible.

My brother has a pair on Dunlavy's and while I haven't heard them in a few years I remember thinking "yeah these sound good, but I like my ACI Saphire III's better." There was something about them that seemed underwhelming...mostly I guess it was the lack of bass.

It is too early to say since I have only had these going for a few days and I have a toddler, what I think of the bass. I think it is because the full range sounds SO GOOD! It's almost like I can't focus my attention on the bass because how good everything else sounds and also I like a lot of classic rock which IMO really benefits from a subwoofer because of the way many tracks are recorded from that era.

Also, I used acousta stuff and it may be that I need to adjust the filling as well as maybe the port, which I cut a little long because you can cut something shorter but not longer.

I have one question about the wave guides...they stick up about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch...is that going to matter?

Finally here's the final picks! Ignore the toys and mess please!

I had to put all my audio equipment on the floor because my existing A/V rack was too big and I have to build something else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150917_110827.jpg (233.2 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg 20150917_110937.jpg (288.8 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg 20150917_111107.jpg (246.9 KB, 288 views)
Old 20th September 2015, 12:41 AM   #2047
diyAudio Member

Bass is not a problem I have concluded!!!!!!!!
Old 20th September 2015, 01:17 PM   #2048
Joe Rasmussen is offline Joe Rasmussen  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Bass is not a problem I have concluded!!!!!!!!
Of course not.

-
Old 20th September 2015, 04:39 PM   #2049
pguerin is offline pguerin  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Clausen,

Nice work I thaught you were building the MK5 Elsinore with 830875 Nomex speakers !

Why haven't you build the mk5 with the speakers coming from your Nomex 164 ? How does the mk6 sound compared to the Nomex mk5?
I'm still planning to build the mk5, I've got most of the crossover parts and a pair of waveguide from Joels.
Old 20th September 2015, 06:31 PM   #2050
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pguerin View Post
Hi Clausen,

Nice work I thaught you were building the MK5 Elsinore with 830875 Nomex speakers !

Why haven't you build the mk5 with the speakers coming from your Nomex 164 ? How does the mk6 sound compared to the Nomex mk5?
I'm still planning to build the mk5, I've got most of the crossover parts and a pair of waveguide from Joels.

The fact that the SB Acoustics were not truncated was one reason, as well as as far as I understood they were supposed to be an improvement over the MK5. I realize the MK5 did not need to be recessed but I prefer them that way. I am keeping the Nomex 164, I moved them to my bed room. As far as compared to the Nomex's 164...the difference is pretty impressive.

I'd say it's huge. The Elsinore's provide a much deeper sound stage and realism is hard to describe without hearing them. I literally had tears of joy last night listening to a several sources. I recorded Imagine Dragons on the "Artists Den" a while back and that got me to buy their cd and there is one track that starts with a heavy drum intro and my jaw hit the floor...I couldn't believe it.

Then I played a few tracks from Micheal Jackson's Thriller, and then listened to Dave Brubeck's Take Five and then Miles Davis' Kind of Blue...so i have listened to a pretty good range of music already. On the 3rd track on Take Five I had tears of joy...I'm not kidding.

I could not be more pleased!!!

Thanks Joe!!!! I wish I could give you a big hug!!!

Last edited by Clausen; 20th September 2015 at 06:35 PM.

The "Elsinore Project" ThreadHide this!Advertise here!