The "Elsinore Project" Thread

So everyone who is helping around here just bare with me :). I would really like to learn and understand certain things and ofcourse make sure my elsinore's are performing as expected. The trick with stick suggested by mbrennwa is working but this only opens new questions :) So I omitted crossover and connected woofers together at speaker terminals and tried the battery test and all woofers went in the same direction... Then I connected computer to amp and started to go through frequencies but one driver from the pair always vibrated differently so now I have a lot more questions than answers :) Is this normal should I measure excursion of certain driver or should all move about the same? This effect is present on both speakers even when connected through crossover top driver the one above tweeter is moving/vibrating less than the driver below the tweeter. Same with botom two drivers top one is moving/vibrating less than the bottom. Just be kind to me I now I have no qlue what Im talkig about just hope it makes sense... :eek::confused:

Last edited:
That's an interesting observation!

...and it might even make sense! The Elsinore tower will develop a standing wave along the vertical axis of the box, and the drivers will "ride" on this wave. Since they sit at different vertical positions, they will ride the wave in different ways, which might explain the differences you see.

At what frequencies did you test?
Was there a frequency range where the cones moved less (that would be the tuning frequency of the bass reflex system)?
At what frequencies did you observe the differences between the woofers?

Well there was a point at which one driver second from the bottom (I measured with a straw against the cone) would be almost still, dont have the exact number (I need to start writing down this things) since I was baffled by this effect but I was testing between 30-40hz, but others would move more. Is there a chance that could also be amplifier attributing to this effect since for now I am using chinese gainclone kit with modifications found on this forum so not really amplifier this speakers deserve but I'm working on it... otherwise I'm no expert but while listening to music and movies I can't seem to find anything wrong with sounds coming out of speaker. :) I just get baffled by this strange effects and than start to question If I did something wrong or what...

Last edited:
Had a bit of a fright the other night listening to my MK 5 Elsinore's being driven by my Monarchy class A monoblocks. My wife handed me the tablet which controls my Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6. I reached out and grabbed the tablet but inadvertently pressed the volume up button which quite quickly went to full volume! It was ear shattering. I fumbled for the volume down button but it didn't immediately respond so had a few seconds at full blast, and I do mean blast. My ears were ringing like I'd been to Deep Purple concert and I'm sure most in the street heard it too. These speakers can go seriously loud. I had to wait for the following day to check that nothing had blown up as my ears just afterwards were quite deaf. Everything seems o/k luckily. Well I now know how loud they can go! Won't do that again. Still loving them after 9 years (has it been that long)!!

Well there was a point at which one driver second from the bottom (I measured with a straw against the cone) would be almost still, dont have the exact number (I need to start writing down this things) since I was baffled by this effect but I was testing between 30-40hz, but others would move more. Is there a chance that could also be amplifier attributing to this effect since for now I am using chinese gainclone kit with modifications found on this forum so not really amplifier this speakers deserve but I'm working on it... otherwise I'm no expert but while listening to music and movies I can't seem to find anything wrong with sounds coming out of speaker. :) I just get baffled by this strange effects and than start to question If I did something wrong or what...

Ok, maybe it would be useful to measure the electrical impedance curve. This would show how the system works as a whole, not just one woofer vs. another. Make sure to use a sweep that is at least 1 second long in order to get sufficient resolution on the frequency axis (1 Hz or better).

Had a bit of a fright the other night listening to my MK 5 Elsinore's being driven by my Monarchy class A monoblocks. I had to wait for the following day to check that nothing had blown up as my ears just afterwards were quite deaf. Everything seems o/k luckily. Well I now know how loud they can go! Won't do that again. Still loving them after 9 years (has it been that long)!!

Hey take care!

9 years? Time flies quickly....!

Tanks

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all your work on this thread

They sound great joe.

Hooked to a cheap dennon av amp running streaming sources. They are clear and balanced with almost more bass than I should be pumping in my apt

Attachments

• 53C718CA-9BD6-4F49-8F28-D9F61A8D229F.jpeg
    53C718CA-9BD6-4F49-8F28-D9F61A8D229F.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
i've had my MKV's running for quite a few years and after a year or so, thought something was off, sound was just a tad fuzzy. took a SUPER close look at CO and found that one of the woofers or midwoofers was wired wrong, threw the whole dang sound off. after that...OMFG, these speakers are fantastic! i think these might be easier than some DIYs o make a little goof. love the pic with the feet up
Cheers all

So I got an usb sound card, made a device with 100 ohm resistor and after some time of tinkering and calibrating I got this results without crossover attached! Is this the expected curve or should it be diferrent should I repete the test with crossover...

thx

View attachment 846434
Looks good. Can you export the data and post them here?

I had to shrink graph from 10Hz to 1kHz so I could upload it...

View attachment 846540

Alright, I made a new plot, zooming in a bit. It looks like the impedance level is not right, but the overall shape looks fine to me. Did you maybe use a different value resistor in the measurement?

Anyways, take a look at the attachment. The minimum between the two bass-reflex peaks is at 34 Hz, so that's the bass-reflex tuning frequency.

There are also some interesting wiggles:
  • At 40 Hz and 110 Hz: I have no idea what this is
  • At 145 Hz, 295 Hz and 470 Hz: These look like the internal standing wave developing along the vertical axis of the box. You might want to try to attenuate these by adding some damping, or maybe an internal Helmholtz resonator stuffed with sound absorbing material.

Attachments

• impedance_curve_elsinore.png
    impedance_curve_elsinore.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Hey mbrennwa I really appreciate your help. Regarding stuffing since I have no access to stuff Joe uses for stuffing I had no idea how much to stuff the box :) so I will add some more stuffing. As for impedance measurements I am still struggling I did everything as in REW help file but if I take a measurement right after calibrating with open and closed circuit and after that with reference resistor, I get allmost flat line so I raised input gain to be able to see graph. Since there is no mention of raising or lowering gain on input of sound card I have no idea if this is what i should do or not to get a usable graph, but If I had to guess I would say I shouldn't touch gain after calibrating. :) Should usb sound card have enough power to measure impedance of elsinore speakers or should the sound card be connected through amplifier?

P.S.
damn I just found "limits" button to scale the graph I will do some more measurements tonight with untouched gain :) then I suppose the graph will show as it should

thanks

Last edited:
Well finally I was able to tame the measuring device :)
Now I have this two measurements with and without crossover. I didnt add the stuffing yet. If I understand those little bumps are standing waves? But other than that do these graphs look like they should? There is some difference in tunning frequency between the two should I tune with or without crossover?

thanks

left-crossover.jpg left-no-crossover.jpg