The "Elsinore Project" Thread

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
It grows all down the eastern side of Australia but Tasmanian timbers are slower growing and perfect for furniture and Boat building.
There's a whole tract of dirt between Tamworth and Melbourne that should have the climate to keep up with Tassie.

You gotta respect a man who likes speakers, carpentry and geometry..

Music I have been listening to since the 80s is sending a shiver up my spine and making the hair on the back of neck stand up. SAY NO MORE
..and gets it!

Hey, lucky you finished building before you found this new distraction ;)

Nice job Oz...VERY NICE! I installed the expensive True copper caps a couple weeks ago and talk about amazing....

Not that they needed improving but I figured "why not?" And I'm glad I did...

I have been buying remastered CD's ever since to add to my collection.

My favorite's so far have been Dave Bruebeck (since I never listen to any jazz before), and I picked up Fleetwood Mack "Rumors" which is one of the best cd's to "test" speakers....

and like you said the shiver and hair standing up...I literally had tears of joy...I'm not kidding...I just couldn't believe it the first few times I got a nice long listen! The cool thing is, it's gonna stay like---- ;)

I completed building my Elsinores a couple of months back now and I am VERY pleased with them, Thanks heaps Joe.
Joe R. and the late Allen Wright always steered me in the right direction.
My Elsinores are plain satin black. A good friend of mine kindly created CAD files of all the MDF parts and I then payed a commercial CNC company cut all the MDF exactly to size. That made assembly very easy. I then had the enclosures professionally spray painted.
Very simply they are just GREAT!!! :)

I completed building my Elsinores a couple of months back now and I am VERY pleased with them, Thanks heaps Joe.
My Elsinores are plain satin black. A good friend of mine kindly created CAD files of all the MDF parts and I then payed a commercial CNC company cut all the MDF exactly to size. That made assembly very easy. I then had the enclosures professionally spray painted.

Any chance you could share your CAD/CNC files??

BK

can you post some photos?

I'll upload a couple of pix shortly

The guy with the big flatbed CNC machine who cut all my MDF pieces offered to cut all the 25mm thick pieces in 32mm MDF because he had plenty in stock and would have had to buy in the 25mm. So I thought why not? So we had to adjust sizes in the CAD files to have exactly the same final volume. They ended up 14mm taller, 14mm wider etc, etc... and just that bit heavier to lift. (BTW For those who requested copies of the CAD files I given you the version for 25mm MDF)
All the best
Steve

Here are a couple of pix

Attachments

• Elsinore bbcm_38.jpg
    Elsinore bbcm_38.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 778
  • Elsinore_4808cm.jpg
    Elsinore_4808cm.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 771
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I am going to get some prices for professionally etched PCB's. They are done on a panel basis so you fit as many boards as you can to a panel. At present I am etching them at home which gives a nice result but is quite labour intensive. For an outside company I simply give them the Protel file and the boards are sent to me. They can even have screen printed overlays etc at an extra cost. As for different components, I've designed them using Jantzen Inductors, resistors and for the C1 cap (Superior Z cap) which I feel is as good as they need to be and overkill in some areas. If you are going for foil inductors etc they will not fit and I have no real plans to do a PCB for them. Otherwise unless the components are vastly different in size they should fit. I have taken great pains to eliminate inductor crosstalk and as you can see separated the LF and HF sections to separate PCB's. So stay tuned and as soon as I get some quotes and work out costs I will post some prices. I hope you are O/K with this arrangement Joe R. I don't want to step on any toes.

Cheers.

irext:

Have you made any progress on finalizing pricing for your crossover pcbs? An ETA would be great, if you don't mind. Also, would you mind posting the BOM for the components used on your crossovers? I'd like to order parts relatively soon.

Regards,
Scott

Hi Scott. Sorry I haven't got any further with getting them done professionally yet but I'll send you my parts list in the mean time. There always seem to be something else more pressing to do but I will get to it. All the components I used are Jantzen and I can attest (and so can oZmoZis) that they sound very good.

irext:

Have you made any progress on finalizing pricing for your crossover pcbs? An ETA would be great, if you don't mind. Also, would you mind posting the BOM for the components used on your crossovers? I'd like to order parts relatively soon.

Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• Mk6 Parts List.jpg
    Mk6 Parts List.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 652
tweeter caps

Hi all,
just wanted to share my recent experience. i decided to upgrade my tweeter caps from Audyn plus to a Mundorf supreme. i'd had the caps in for over a year and loved the sound, but boy what an improvement with the Mundorfs! the sound is smoother, a bit more detailed in the upper registers and most importantly, i get the constant craving to turn up the volume. I'm amazed by what a difference in components this speaker can reveal! just wanted to share my experience. oh, these are version V speakers.
cheers,
Scott in Duvall, WA

Xover caps

Hi Scott. I had the same epiphany when I went from Solen to Jantzen Superior Z caps. I found the sound took on a more subtle detailed quality. It was a pleasure to listen to my music collection anew. I heard someone somewhere describing what he noticed when comparing the sound of caps. He said that live applause on inferior caps sounds like white noise whereas with quality caps you can distinguish the individual hand claps. I totally agree. As you say the Elsinores will reveal any improvement you make.

Hi all,
just wanted to share my recent experience. i decided to upgrade my tweeter caps from Audyn plus to a Mundorf supreme. i'd had the caps in for over a year and loved the sound, but boy what an improvement with the Mundorfs! the sound is smoother, a bit more detailed in the upper registers and most importantly, i get the constant craving to turn up the volume. I'm amazed by what a difference in components this speaker can reveal! just wanted to share my experience. oh, these are version V speakers.
cheers,
Scott in Duvall, WA