The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Hi. After doing the wiring etc on Ozmozis's Elsinore build we found one of the D2608 Tweeters to be open circuit. Has anyone else has a faulty one? It's the first time I've ever seen a driver crook out of the box. WES Components to their credit are going to replace it but it will not be till next week and we were all fired up for a listening session today! :( It's just as well we tested it before the big reveal as it would have been a let down. Other than that the build is going together very well. I'll give Ozmozis a nudge to post some picies.

I'd check the voicecoil as mentioned. If you read my post I had two of these tweeters' posts break off, which I repaired one of which has been in use for 3 years now!

Thanks for the advice re the blown tweeter. irext has been itching to pull the tweeter apart and repair it. i am sure he would have it done in no time, however, WES components are happy to replace it so I’ve had to hose him down and get him to wait for the replacement to arrive. Needless to say we couldn't wait that long to listen to them so we assembled the box with the blown tweeter to fill the hole in the front of the speaker. I must say they sound pretty dam good with only one tweeter. I managed to source cap head screws to exactly match the ones provided with the wave guides, so all fixing match. I wanted to wait until the build was totally finished to put up pics but i am getting pressured by irext to put some up. The base of the cabinets are still to have feet attached as seen on Naim Ovators, but they are with a panel beater mate who is priming them for me to finish off. As normal he doesn't see the urgency in returning them to me. The pics attached are therefore a work in progress

Attachments

• 20151001_143205.jpg
    20151001_143205.jpg
    585.7 KB · Views: 683
  • 20151001_143234.jpg
    20151001_143234.jpg
    739.4 KB · Views: 653
  • 20150930_183735.jpg
    20150930_183735.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 645
  • 20150930_183509.jpg
    20150930_183509.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 652
Hi. After doing the wiring etc on Ozmozis's Elsinore build we found one of the D2608 Tweeters to be open circuit...

Yes, I sent a pair to WA, also from WES, and when he received it, one was open circuit.

He carefully undid the front mounting plate and looked for the the wires being terminated and found one side was open and was able to resolder it. Others have done this, I just saw somebody posting that.

Yes, don't apply to much heat when connecting the Tweeter.

Cheers, Joe

I did remove the front flange which revealed the voice coil and diaphragm but to gain access to the enameled wire I would have had to pry the voice coil/diaphragm from the faceplate and possibly lose the centering. I bailed out at that point. I didn't want impatience to get the better of me. If there was nothing else to lose I would have had a go but WES have agreed to replace it subject to an inspection of the faulty unit. It does however seem to be a design flaw as you should be able to solder to the lugs without fear of damage. I certainly did not apply excessive heat or hold the iron in contact for any longer than to whet the joint. When soldering the replacement I will use a pair of pointy nose pliers to grip the lug and sink the heat away from the internal side of the lug. Live and learn.

Yes, I sent a pair to WA, also from WES, and when he received it, one was open circuit.

He carefully undid the front mounting plate and looked for the the wires being terminated and found one side was open and was able to resolder it. Others have done this, I just saw somebody posting that.

Yes, don't apply to much heat when connecting the Tweeter.

Cheers, Joe

I did remove the front flange which revealed the voice coil and diaphragm but to gain access to the enameled wire I would have had to pry the voice coil/diaphragm from the faceplate and possibly lose the centering.

As I said I had to repair two of these...there really is no "prying" involved, and it has self centering nodes, for lack of a better word, which will not allow you to put it on wrong. It makes sense getting a new one, but this seems to be a common problem and since I fix stuff for a living it was a no brainer, plus mine broke off, so I don't think I'd could have gotten Madisound to give me now ones.

Incidentally, you can get new voice coils for these...I'm thinking about getting one or two just to have since they are cheap!

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...canspeak-discovery-voice-coil-for-d2608/9130/

Well spotted:

d2608-hds-vc.jpg

Thanks Joe...

I didn't think to post the picture.

Look at the two holes on either side of the voicecoil assembly. Those two holes line up with two studs on the magnet/motor so it only goes on one way.

It is easy as pie and or a piece of cake if you have to switch out or repair (the repair may not be easy, but taking it apart is), that voicecoil. You do need a small allen head socket I don't know what size off the top of my head.

It's only $27 to replace the VC! :cool:

I forgot to mention...I trimmed down one of the waveguide recesses this afternoon and got it almost flush. It's not quite even all the away around so I think I'll work on it some more but about half of it is flush now...lol.

I broke off one of the screws Joe sent with the waveguides because the pilot hole I drill was a little too small and the HDF is so dang hard, so i need to get a new screw also...but I am in no hurry since these speakers already far outweigh any expectations I had for something I could build let alone something I DID BUILD!!! :D

irext and i finally succumed to the temptation and took the tweeter apart. both wires were detached and one was barely long enough to reach the terminal. irext soldered both but the short one was only attached by a string of solder. Upon returning home and refitting the tweeter it had gone open circuit again. after liasing again with irext he convinced me to give it try. his suggstion was to use a single strand of multistrand speaker wire to extend the short piece. it was a real test of my soldering skills but we now have noise and pink floyd are entertaining me with 'Great Gig in the Sky" as i am typing this. thanks for the encouragement guys. itf it gives up the ghost there is another tweeter ariving on monday

irext and i finally succumed to the temptation and took the tweeter apart. both wires were detached and one was barely long enough to reach the terminal. irext soldered both but the short one was only attached by a string of solder. Upon returning home and refitting the tweeter it had gone open circuit again. after liasing again with irext he convinced me to give it try. his suggstion was to use a single strand of multistrand speaker wire to extend the short piece. it was a real test of my soldering skills but we now have noise and pink floyd are entertaining me with 'Great Gig in the Sky" as i am typing this. thanks for the encouragement guys. itf it gives up the ghost there is another tweeter ariving on monday

That's awesome that you got it to work!!!! That's exactly what I would have done. Scan speak supplies the replacement VC so I wouldn't think it would be a problem getting them...but perhaps it will take awhile if the local supplier doesn't stock them!

Enjoy...I just got mine fired up 2 weeks ago or so? They are awesome! BTW, my repair has held with NO PROBLEMS so far!

D2608 Manufacuring flaw.

One of the connecting lead out wires on Ozmozis's D2608 diaphragm was actually a fraction of a millimeter short of the lug. I was using a head magnifier to look at it and I reckon it was never making contact in the first place. In future I will measure DC resistance upon delivery. It's a bit of an indictment on Scan Speak quality control. They are supposedly a reputable, well respected speaker manufacturer. I wonder how many failures have occurred in total. Most people do not have the skills to repair them so they would be forced to fork out for a new one. I will try to contact ScanSpeak via email to notify them of the issue. I am confident they will be receptive. I should have taken a photo of the faulty diaphragm but was pressed for time when attempting the repair. However all good in the end. Another happy Elsinorian:)

Hi guys. finally finished the speakers after 6 months of interupted work. Have uploaded some pics. i'm feeling pretty happy with the final look.

Attachments

• 20151020_175718.jpg
    20151020_175718.jpg
    494 KB · Views: 719
  • 20151020_202258.jpg
    20151020_202258.jpg
    615.6 KB · Views: 680
  • 20151020_195740.jpg
    20151020_195740.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 660
  • 20151020_195631.jpg
    20151020_195631.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 429
  • 20151020_195606.jpg
    20151020_195606.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 869
  • 20151020_203913.jpg
    20151020_203913.jpg
    856.1 KB · Views: 368
Thanks for the kind words guys. I took some more photos minus the grubby finger marks. The timber used is Tasmanian blackwood (Acacia Melanoxylon) It grows all down the eastern side of Australia but Tasmanian timbers are slower growing and perfect for furniture and Boat building. I love the geometry in the curved foot. As the height of the foot increases so does the radius of the fillet. This in turn created the graceful curve on the outer edge of the feet. The speakers are starting to open with use so i am listening to my music collection with new found enthusiasm.

Attachments

• 20151021_191124.jpg
    20151021_191124.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 270
  • 20151022_173821.jpg
    20151022_173821.jpg
    692.6 KB · Views: 232
  • 20151022_173848.jpg
    20151022_173848.jpg
    712.6 KB · Views: 221
  • 20151022_174015.jpg
    20151022_174015.jpg