The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Close but no cigar...

My plans to work on and finish these speakers didn't quite work out.

I had to watch my little girl Saturday, and today I tried to get them done but ran out of 2 things...time and primer. I use a 2k primer which gives the cabs a really strong substrate, and I have 3 different colors, and of course I ran out of the black. Which is fine because I would have been really upset if I could have finished them if I'd had the time and ran out of primer.

I'll get the primer tomorrow and if I get done early enough them be finished for sure tomorrow!

Here's the progress so far....I stuffed them with "Acousta-Stuf" Acousta-Stuf Polyfill Speaker Cabinet Damping Material 5 lb. Bag

The stuff fit in the back no problem, but I had to use spray adhesive to use it in the front of the cab. I tried not to use too much because it tends to work really well, and as it use I still used a fair amount of it.

Here's the newest pics.

Attachments

• 20150912_214535.jpg
    20150912_214535.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 759
  • 20150912_214516.jpg
    20150912_214516.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 735
  • 20150913_001305.jpg
    20150913_001305.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 718
  • 20150913_193212.jpg
    20150913_193212.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 708
  • 20150913_203353.jpg
    20150913_203353.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 718
Painted...

I stayed home from work today, because my little girl got me sick, so I finished the paint work on these cabinets. I probably shouldn't have because I really feel like crap now...but the painting is done. I have to do a little wet sanding and buffing when I get the chance and then I can install the drivers and we are in business.

I'm curious, on a side note should I make a build page for these separate from this thread?

Here's what they look like so far.

Attachments

• 20150914_180928.jpg
    20150914_180928.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 348
  • 20150914_181008.jpg
    20150914_181008.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 278
  • 20150914_181000.jpg
    20150914_181000.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 292
  • 20150914_181031.jpg
    20150914_181031.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 347
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'm curious, on a side note should I make a build page for these separate from this thread?

Here's what they look like so far.

Nah, leave your build documented right here. Easier for folks to keep up with.

The paint job sure did turn out nice. I guess being in the business really came in handy. :D Nice work indeed.

Really starting to come together now. Can't wait to see the final results.

Done!!!!

Well, I got home on Tuesday after the cabs were painted and decided to finish the build since it was only going to take a couple hours...10 hours later at 3am they were done...lol.

I got one cabinet all done and started on the second one and broke off the positive terminal. Odd thing is I had the exact same thing happen on the Nomex build...not too happy about that, but I was able to fix that other tweeter so I did the same thing with this one.

I removed the voice coil, and soldered a solid small gauge copper wire to the voice coil terminal. And it worked/works!

So the sound....

OMG...let me say that again...Oh MY God!!!! Wow...it's safe to say I am extremely PLEASED!

First let me talk about the detail coming from these speakers...amazing...truly amazing. And the best part is NON-fatiguing!!! Absolutely incredible.

My brother has a pair on Dunlavy's and while I haven't heard them in a few years I remember thinking "yeah these sound good, but I like my ACI Saphire III's better." There was something about them that seemed underwhelming...mostly I guess it was the lack of bass.

It is too early to say since I have only had these going for a few days and I have a toddler, what I think of the bass. I think it is because the full range sounds SO GOOD! It's almost like I can't focus my attention on the bass because how good everything else sounds and also I like a lot of classic rock which IMO really benefits from a subwoofer because of the way many tracks are recorded from that era.

Also, I used acousta stuff and it may be that I need to adjust the filling as well as maybe the port, which I cut a little long because you can cut something shorter but not longer.

I have one question about the wave guides...they stick up about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch...is that going to matter?

Finally here's the final picks! Ignore the toys and mess please!

I had to put all my audio equipment on the floor because my existing A/V rack was too big and I have to build something else.

Attachments

• 20150917_110827.jpg
    20150917_110827.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 364
  • 20150917_110937.jpg
    20150917_110937.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 386
  • 20150917_111107.jpg
    20150917_111107.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 409
Hi Clausen,

Nice work :) I thaught you were building the MK5 Elsinore with 830875 Nomex speakers !

Why haven't you build the mk5 with the speakers coming from your Nomex 164 ? How does the mk6 sound compared to the Nomex mk5?
I'm still planning to build the mk5, I've got most of the crossover parts and a pair of waveguide from Joels.

Hi Clausen,

Nice work :) I thaught you were building the MK5 Elsinore with 830875 Nomex speakers !

Why haven't you build the mk5 with the speakers coming from your Nomex 164 ? How does the mk6 sound compared to the Nomex mk5?
I'm still planning to build the mk5, I've got most of the crossover parts and a pair of waveguide from Joels.

The fact that the SB Acoustics were not truncated was one reason, as well as as far as I understood they were supposed to be an improvement over the MK5. I realize the MK5 did not need to be recessed but I prefer them that way. I am keeping the Nomex 164, I moved them to my bed room. As far as compared to the Nomex's 164...the difference is pretty impressive.

I'd say it's huge. The Elsinore's provide a much deeper sound stage and realism is hard to describe without hearing them. I literally had tears of joy last night listening to a several sources. I recorded Imagine Dragons on the "Artists Den" a while back and that got me to buy their cd and there is one track that starts with a heavy drum intro and my jaw hit the floor...I couldn't believe it.

Then I played a few tracks from Micheal Jackson's Thriller, and then listened to Dave Brubeck's Take Five and then Miles Davis' Kind of Blue...so i have listened to a pretty good range of music already. On the 3rd track on Take Five I had tears of joy...I'm not kidding.

I could not be more pleased!!!

Thanks Joe!!!! I wish I could give you a big hug!!!:eek:

Last edited:
You know it's good when the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Fleetwood Mac's the Chain was just such a track. As a friend of mine said "You can virtually tell what make of bass guitar John Macvie is playing"

I know it's crazy the things I'm hearing...I'm thinking "was that supposed to make that sound or was that a mistake in the background?" Like somebody dropped something in Take 5

I just bought 3 CD's on Amazon...I think I might pick up that Fleetwood Mac too...

I just did in the middle of writing this...lol...I got a Deluxe remastered version and it comes with a mp3 downloaded version....

I would work to get them to flush mount.

You want to ensure correct time alignment as well as correct interaction of the front baffle/cabinet/waveguide to maximize performance.

Yes, they really should be flush, within 1mm in my view. Between 1/16" and 1/8" is about 2mm... it is not a make or break thing, but not being flush is likely to cause a few ripples in the response.

The time alignment with this type of crossover is far less critical than with Butterworth 1st order.

But other than that...

I think the boy likes it !!!

Cheers, Joe

-

Yes, they really should be flush, within 1mm in my view. Between 1/16" and 1/8" is about 2mm... it is not a make or break thing, but not being flush is likely to cause a few ripples in the response.

The time alignment with this type of crossover is far less critical than with Butterworth 1st order.

But other than that...

I think the boy likes it !!!

Cheers, Joe

-

OK, maybe I can trim them with a sharp chisel...these things are so heavy I can't get them outside with out help, especially with the drivers in them. I installed the drivers in my office and dragged/slid them out into the living room...lol...

The HDF I used is VERY heavy....I used about a gallon and half of glue laminating them together ROFL! :cool:

The best thing that has ever happened...

Elsinores...

It is official...these things are amazing. I cannot imagine speakers sounding better...especially not, DIY with these budget drivers.

I got my CD's, 2 yesterday and 2 today...and while I only had a few minutes listen time...these things are incredible. I cannot believe my ears.

I wish I could set up an audition locally and a fund raiser for people to build these, with a nice chunk going to Joe!

Honestly, it's hard to believe someone would offer up such a wonderful design for free that sounds this good!

I have the exact same tweeters in my other speakers, and the same drivers as the MK5's and while my other speakers sound really awesome too, these are on a whole other level.

I am SO SO SO HAPPY!

In a couple weeks I'll have my other really nice Audyn True Copper cap and try that out, but I'll be surprised if I can tell a difference but I'll let you know if I can. The Humble Homemade HiFi cap review ...rated both the Jantez Supremes and the True Copper among his favorite caps with the Supreme's getting a rating of 10 and the Copper a 12...so either way I'll have both caps.

Thanks Joe!

Dead D2608

Hi. After doing the wiring etc on Ozmozis's Elsinore build we found one of the D2608 Tweeters to be open circuit. Has anyone else has a faulty one? It's the first time I've ever seen a driver crook out of the box. WES Components to their credit are going to replace it but it will not be till next week and we were all fired up for a listening session today! :( It's just as well we tested it before the big reveal as it would have been a let down. Other than that the build is going together very well. I'll give Ozmozis a nudge to post some picies.

Hi. After doing the wiring etc on Ozmozis's Elsinore build we found one of the D2608 Tweeters to be open circuit. Has anyone else has a faulty one? It's the first time I've ever seen a driver crook out of the box. WES Components to their credit are going to replace it but it will not be till next week and we were all fired up for a listening session today! :( It's just as well we tested it before the big reveal as it would have been a let down. Other than that the build is going together very well. I'll give Ozmozis a nudge to post some picies.

Maybe I`m too late or somebody already told it:
These kind of tweeters are very sensitive to heat on their connections. I had to learn this the hard way when I soldered the cables directly to the pins. But...if you are patient and have an easy hand you can repair it as I did. Remove the screws (no fear whne you re-mount everything there will be no adjustments) and find the place where the disconection is. Take your time, think twice and you`ll be successful and able to do your listening session.
Regards, Jürgen

Clausen,

Sounds like you are one happy camper. :) Keep on listening. When time allows maybe some 80-90s metal if that gels with you? :D

I see a few soft toys in the room - should improve the damping, he, he.

Hahaha...yeah I'm more of an AC/DC fan...but there is plenty of hard rock from that era too that I love...huge Queen fan...the problem is the better your setup the more it reveals the quality, or lack there of of the source recording.

I'm thinking some Def Leopard will be on the purchase list soon! :D