Scottmoose and planet10, this is for us - the Calhoun.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
:)

Attachments

• calhoun.jpg
    calhoun.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 10,457
Nice one Cal. Of course, the question is, how do they sound? To the best of my knowledge, this geometry is unique (to say nothing of the alignment, or the driver positioning... ;-) so I'd be interested to hear about your impressions of them.

Terry -I'll leave the full thing to Cal, but briefly, Dave & I have been working on double horn designs over the past year, of two sorts. First, BVR (Big Vent Reflex; large chamber, short rapidly flaring waveguide type of horn) and Nagaoka style stepped expansion long-path types. Cal asked if we could do something for 2 CSS WR125 drivers (preferably a little different or novel) & this is what we / I came up with. It's a BVR with EBS alignment, & Nagaoka stepped expansion, one driver facing forward, the other sideways.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's amazing how well one sleeps after a night like that. :)

TerryO said:
what's the story?

See below

Scottmoose said:
how do they sound?

Very nice thanks to you.

And Dave.

Terry -I'll leave the full thing to Cal, but briefly, Dave & I have been working on double horn designs over the past year, of two sorts. First, BVR (Big Vent Reflex; large chamber, short rapidly flaring waveguide type of horn) and Nagaoka style stepped expansion long-path types. Cal asked if we could do something for 2 CSS WR125 drivers (preferably a little different or novel) & this is what we / I came up with. It's a BVR with EBS alignment, & Nagaoka stepped expansion, one driver facing forward, the other sideways. [/B]

SQ and aesthetics in one package

Geoff H said:
Cal, what's happened? You usually have horns in front of drivers.

Oops. ;)

He's a sly devil you know. Only last week I said there'd be nothing around Cal's shed needing BSC. [/B]

Two wr's and a couple horn loaded ports pretty much eliminates the need for bsc even with the very narrow baffle. The sound is nicely balanced.

I have the wr's running full range and the TB tweeter with a 1 mfd cap and some padding. The ports are lightly stuffed.

The wr's have finally found a home. This is the first alignment I have been happy with. They have been a frustrating driver to work with but not anymore, thanks to Scott and Dave.

A truly satisfying project.

panomaniac said:
So which way do you point them? :confused:

Toward Haleakala. :)

I have been experimenting with moving them around and swapping sides and the results are sure interesting. So far, spacing them a fair ways apart and having the side drivers inward has created a nice stage presence. Close together with the side drivers out has a certain airiness (airyness?). Sure gets rid of the problem of having them on the same baffle with the high XO point.

Haven't snuck them inside yet to play with the walls and corners but maybe Sonia will go shopping tomorrow... ;)

Horns do tend to be big unfortunately... even the BVR types. Still, bigger = better.

They should be fine flat against a rear wall -I went for an EBS alignment so they could be used pushed right back, or into corners. And with the diofferent driver positions, there's plenty of room for experiment. ;) If they behave anything like the Harvey's, my guess is they should sound huge, for a little driver.

Sonia went shopping so I snuck them inside.

Quite a difference. I guess having them sit in the middle of the shop doth not make for a good listening session. Inside, up against the wall, away from the corners with the side drivers pointing in, they are impressive.

Now they sound big, and that's hard for me to say. A couple of 4.5" drivers have no business sounding like that. :D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
folhaseca said:
I am curious what these would sound like with the wide face towards the
listener, flat against the wall and just the one driver on the wide baffle in use?

I wondered the same... this box does require 2 drivers. There is a design for one -- a BVR called Bob (still a set of numbers in an email from Scott at this point thou)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.