Piezo Tweeter for Dogs

Gold_xyz said:
Hi people :D

I have necessity to build a kit similar to this
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_101145/article.html
For the dog of my neighbor. (I cannot sleep anymore :mad: )

what type of piezo tweeter can I use?

I have to look for datasheet of the manufacturer.. :dodgy:

I have the same problem with the neighbor's dog.

The piezo looks similar to this for $1.44 /each. I used these for my DIY speaker recently and so far impressed.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=270-011

gychang

I made something similar for the garden ... to keep the gophers away

It worked fine, the piezo driver sat on, aimed into a piece of 3/4" EMT electrical tubing, driven into the ground 6+ feet. By setting the frequencies a bit higher and making it simply oscilate instead of "warble" ... around 28K Htz., then it didn't bother the dog at all. The theory is that it messes with the gophers' sex life, somehow, so they go away. The ants all went away as well. :smash:

Only there as an example !
Puts 24V square across the piezo without transformer.

I had one with three Motorola piezos and LM3900 warble driving a capacitor firing transistor npnp arrangement and step-up transformer (pcb about 1 x1 x2 inches) each but can't find the circuit I developed.
The beats were unbearable.

Was being designed as an airport bird scarer, one box could scare birds up to 1/2 mile.

Motorolas very directional at hf, thus if aimed into a neighbours garden will work over a very narrow range.

" ... Was being designed as an airport bird scarer, one box could scare birds up to 1/2 mile. ... Motorolas very directional at hf, thus if aimed into a neighbours garden will work over a very narrow range. ..."

Yes they are as are most higher freq. drivers. (If memory serves, something like 15 degrees off axis was max radiated pattern, narrower at higher freq.) = good for local doggie go go getter as it won't interfer too much with the whole neighborhood's other doggies.

Birds!! ... at airports !! I would have thought something more like a recording of the bigger hawks, played back would do it for the little birdies, pigeons, etc. ... and I would imaging you would have trouble with non-omnidirectionallity of the drivers as above = same as for doggies. (Is there a word like non-omnidirectionallity ? ... maybe it should be just "directionality" ...)

[Off topic a little: I have always wanted to record the Hooded Monk Finch ond some other Finch songs ... mostly way above human hearing range, 12K Htz. and up to above 25K Htz. ... digitally, then using some kind of frequency division technic to drop their tunes [play list?] down to a human listenable bandwidth without out losing content, etc. ... anyone every hear about doing anything like this?] :apathic:

making it simply oscilate instead of "warble" ... around 28K Htz., then it didn't bother the dog at all.

RU sure it didn't bother the dog because of simple oscillation or was it because the piezos don't go that high really. Or maybe they go that high but they have a very rugged response AFAIK.

I once made a circuit to chase away mice and this one was running at 22 kHz approx. It was a push-pull LC oscillator using the piezo as tuning capacitor. With this circuit you can achieve the same output voltage as if you were using a full-bridge output topology.

The last time I used "ultrasonics" was last autumn when I was doing painting work on our boat. The neighbour's cat is very naughty and nosey as well so I wanted to prevent the fresh paint from being "examined" by this cat. So I simply connected a piezo tweeter to my function generator in sweep mode (12 to 18 kHz approx). The cat didn't return to our estate for days afterwards !!!!

Regards

Charles

" RU sure it didn't bother the dog [?] ..." He was an old dog, but he used to sleep right next to the gopher chaser and all most all of the audio noise (above 28K) was a clipped sign wave, directed down the 3/4" EMT pipe down into the garden dirt ... I didn't ask around the neighborhood about other dogs' reactions. :rolleyes:

" ... There is already a device available for listening to bats in real time. ..." Wow! and here all along I was afraid I would have to develop this my self ... super, I'll give the 'Net a search = Thanks.

" ... neighbour's cat is very naughty and nosey as well so I wanted to prevent the fresh paint from being "examined" by this cat. So I simply connected a piezo tweeter to my function generator in sweep mode (12 to 18 kHz approx). The cat didn't return to our estate for days afterwards ..."

There is a whole world of audio out side of the human hearing range: dog range, cat range, bird range, dolphin range, ultra-sound scan range, industrial inspection range, gopher range, ant range, termite range (!) ... and lots of places for us DIY types to make, engineer and operate this specialized equipment = opportunities for experimentation, high school science projects and possible vocations = :smash:

Graham Maynard said:
Only there as an example !
Puts 24V square across the piezo without transformer.

I had one with three Motorola piezos and LM3900 warble driving a capacitor firing transistor npnp arrangement and step-up transformer (pcb about 1 x1 x2 inches) each but can't find the circuit I developed.
The beats were unbearable.

Was being designed as an airport bird scarer, one box could scare birds up to 1/2 mile.

Motorolas very directional at hf, thus if aimed into a neighbours garden will work over a very narrow range.
A schematic would be great, if you ever find it.

I have racoons. I have a skunk. I have squirrels. I have birds screwing with my sleep at 4am. I also have ants. And earwigs crolling into the house from the backyard. And I HATE THEM ALL!!!
:mad:

What I want is a pest-free zone around my house. I want to set up a multi-horn in the backyard that will be activated by my motion-sensor lights. And another one blowing into an EMT into the ground, what a great idea, FastEddy! Another one near the roof. And one more for the ants in front of the house (another EMT).

I am having a problem finding those Motorola cones, looks like the KSN1038 is also discontinued. Also, if there are any Torontonians out there, where do you guys shop for parts, B&M stores or on-line?

TIA - ardo.

" ... I have racoons. I have a skunk. I have squirrels. I have birds screwing with my sleep at 4am. I also have ants. And earwigs crolling into the house from the backyard. And I HATE THEM ALL!!! ..."

Works for ants and gophers ... birds, dogs, earwigs, etc. may require alternate freqs and mixes ...

If you hate 'em that much, maybe you should move instead of trying to move Mother Nature outta your domain ... :confused:

" ... spending 3 years and over $500 to get carpenter ants out of my house, I want to keep them out. ..."

The retired hippies over here on the left coast put burlap bags full of eucalyptus leaves and berries under their houses = does a great job of keeping termites and ants away for years ... It really does work too, having lived in houses thus treated = no ants, no termites, no roaches ... but I can't recall if it works with earwigs ... DIY homeowners' tip o' the month :smash:

Sorry for the threadjacking but its on topic

I have a problem with noise from neighbours kids outside my door. I was looking at the "Mosquito" device to see if I could DIY one.

http://www.compoundsecurity.co.uk/teenage_control_products.html

Using a small mono velleman amp kit with the 16Khz tone played from a cheap cd player and a super tweeter it works very well.
I would however like to use a circuit to generate the tone so it can be self contained but cant find a suitable one.
Any pointers to a suitable circuit would be greatly appreciated as there seems to be a wealth of knowledge on the subject here.
Many thanks and apologies
JB

Well, I thought I was the only "mean old man" :D

I had problems keeping kids and dogs out of my yard, 18kHz from my sinus generator, a 50W amp and a horn tweeter took care of that in my case :smash: Much easier than arguing with half the neighbourhood whether it's ok their kids and dogs are on my property or not :angel:

So it sure works for both dogs and kids!

Magura :)

John, you could try a simple 555 timer. If you were to use one of the Motorolas, it may provide enough output used as the timing cap. Google LM555, there are many examples. I might try it myself to keep the cows out of the yard, the foxes out of the chookhouse, but I don't want to upset the farm dogs, only the neighbours.

Pity we can't instil some ethics into our younger generation, or can we?

Geoff.

[Off topic a little: I have always wanted to record the Hooded Monk Finch ond some other Finch songs ... mostly way above human hearing range, 12K Htz. and up to above 25K Htz. ... digitally, then using some kind of frequency division technic to drop their tunes [play list?] down to a human listenable bandwidth without out losing content, etc. ... anyone every hear about doing anything like this?]

I vaguely remember a report of research carried out in this way, which revealed that birdsong followed many of the same 'rules' as classical music.