surround speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking to make a couple of tweeter only surround speakers for the back of my living room. The loudspeakers i have are a pair of two 12 inch jbl subs and two jbl hf drivers. I get enough bass out of those subs so im not looking for lows and mids in the back. Correct me if im wrong but the box for the tweeter doesn't matter, correct? Does anyone have a design they made for tweeters that they could share with me? or a recommended tweeter? Also what do i need to do as far as making sure i dont blow the speakers if i build them. Im not sure if an L-pad will take care of that or not. If you can't tell already i am a noob and i apologize. Thanks for any help.

I don't think this is such a great idea.

Your subwoofer probably covers frequencies from 20Hz or lower to at most 150Hz or so. A tweeter only speaker would probably cover frequencies from at LOWEST 1000Hz (probably higher) to 20KHz. This means that you'd be missing all of the signal from about 150Hz - 1000Hz. This frequency range is "critical" mid-bass/midrange. If you wanted to omit a portion of the audible spectrum you would generally omit either the upper-most or lower-most portion (say, 20Hz - 100Hz or 10KHz - 20KHz) because our ears are less sensitive to material in these ranges. The section of the audible spectrum you've chosen to omit is part of the part where our ears are most sensitive.

Bottom line, I think it will sound pretty crappy. A better option would be to find some "full-range" drivers and use those instead of tweeters. These drivers would be optimized for the mid-range area, say 200Hz - 5KHz or so. These will make much better single driver surround speakers than just a tweeter.

If you decide to go the tweeter only route I would recommend choosing a capacitor (2uF or so) to protect the tweeter from low frequencies and then attenuate the tweeter level with your surround processor to match the volume level to the rest of your speakers. You could also use an L-Pad to match the volume level, but it's less flexible and your surround processor probably already has the ability to adjust the relative volume of the surround speakers.

You should probably do a little more research before pursuing this project.

GOOD LUCK!

My loudspeakers have a jbl sub and a jbl HF (HIGH FREQUENCY) driver in each. So the frequency range, i believe, is from about 45 till 18500 hz. The only freqs omitted are the low low's and the high high's. The bass off these subs drown out some of the low level high freq's. So when the subs are kicking during a movie i can't here much else. I have a set of surround speakers already but the aren't very loud and the quality isn't very good. I am just looking for something that can reproduce these highs at a higher level and quality than what mine do now. The receiver i have can't adjust the surround speaker volume. The system i got is kind of primitive and jerry-rigged but it works and it sounds decent. So again if anybody has any projects out there for surround speakers or if anybody has any suggestions....Thanks.

Well, you're looking for very loud surround speakers you said. I don't know that you are going to get the SPL levels you desire from full-range drivers, especially if you have JBL fronts (pro-drivers?). Check out the sensitivity in the frequency ranges you're interested in and then look at max power and make sure everything still makes sense for max SPL.

mmm dont use only tweeters, the suround channel is mostly midrange with a little bit of hi's. I would suggest 3" to 5.5'inch speakers for the quality of mid sound, dont worry about under 100hz, movies share the surround channel with the sub channel, hence the title 5.1 and not 6 channel, where one of the surround channels is split at 100hz, so that above is surround, below is sub.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.