Metal dome should always go with metal cone? Is this a rule?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, if a tweeter sounds metallic, don't use it. Or fix it.

These days, there are a lot of good metal dome tweeters that don't sound "metallic." Sadly, my favorite has been discontinued, but I've been pretty happy with the Seas units. I have a pair of H398 (I don't know the number in their current system) which are paired with TPX midranges. Smooth as silk.

There are lots of designs out there that pair metal woofers with non-metal tweeters, and visa verse. There is absolutely no rule that both drivers should be of the same material - overall performance (frequency response & range, distortion, sensitivity, t/s specs, etc.) should determine the pairing.

A good metal driver will not sound like metal, any more than a good paper driver will not sound like paper (whatever that sounds like); drivers shouldn't sound like their materials - they should accurately reproduce the input signal, and there are good and bad drivers of all types of materials.

Personally I'd like to see a design with the 27TBFC/G and one of the Scan Speak Revelator sliced paper woofers. Ooh, aah...

I tried to reply to this earlier, but the site was having problems, I can only hope that I'm not too late.

Metal drivers should never be mixed with other drivers, including other metal drivers!

Just carefully gather up those offensive metal things, and gingerly pack them as well as you can and send them to me. Once they arrive, I will place them in my 5 Billion Gigawatt Plasma Disintegrator and dispose of them correctly. Do not, and I repeat, Do Not, try this at home. Most household Disintegrators really aren't designed with the specifications necessary to fully disintegrate the drivers. I can fully assure you that once they arrive here you will never see them again!
I do this as a public service, in part to give back to the DIY Community, so you needn't bother to include money for carrying charges or handling fees, just paying the postage will suffice.
So don't delay, as it can only become more painful.

Your Humble Servant,
"EarthSteward" Olson :angel:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.