Bose acoustimass cubes impedance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know how Bose cubes (the ones for Acoustimass mids/highs) are made?

I mean, do they incorporate the (passive) bandpass and highpass filters inside, or are they built into the subwoofer module where they are meant to be connected?

One of our customers points that their impedance is 0.5ohm, but such a low value seems quite strange to us, specially for tweeters, we are not talking about woofers.

If the filters are inside, it will be impossible to measure the DC resistance with an ohmeter as they will have capacitors in series.

Any info about their construction and impedance will be very welcomed.

Thanks!

The xo is passive and is inside the sub module, you can access it by taking the back panel off the sub (well on mine you can) very old Series 2 Pro.

The satellites have stupidly low impedance - something like 1 ohm IIRC. I think they are just plastic shells - I'll dig mine out of the cupboard and check if you like. I've taken one top driver out to effect a repair because the speaker snapped in half :rolleyes: but not the bottom one.

OK - pic of the XO.

Satellite drivers have 142188 911TNK on the back, nothing inside them, that includes solder BTW, apart from wadding - drivers wired in series.

They are acoustimas 5 series 2 - apologies for getting the model wrong earlier.

Attachments

• bosexo2s.jpg
    bosexo2s.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 547
imjatse said:
I am going to ask a stupid question, but why use bulbs in a crossover? Do they limit current or some such thing? Why not use just a resistor? :confused:

Duh! it brightens up the sound- its all in their "patents," if you want to read about it.

Seriously though, I thought they were fuses I didn't know they lit up.
I have a slightly newer version than pictured above, and I can tell you they have lowered the quality of the xover even more, for instance, now they are attached to a plastic cup with all of the speaker terminals no wood. Each vc of the two dual coil woofers is wired to a separate crossover channel for impressively weak bass.
I am amazed these sound as decent as they do considering how cheaply they are manufactured.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.