Best 3 or 4in low/mid driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in the phase of designing a computer loudspeaker system.

Basically the loudspeaker will be similar to http://www.syrincs.de/new/m3bl.htm
D’Appolito arrangement in TL enclosure.

Generally I’m looking at low/mid speakers with 3 to 4in diameter.
Driver which I consider are:
Fostex FE108
Swan M4N
or M3N
or B3S
Aura 3in full range driver

The low/mid driver will be supported by tweeter, which I will select to match low/mid transducer. 1 order xover to be used in this tandem.

I would like to know if anyone has opinion about above drivers or better option in 3 or 4 in diameter range.
:confused:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
martioz said:
Basically the loudspeaker will be similar to http://www.syrincs.de/new/m3bl.htm
D’Appolito arrangement in TL enclosure.

From what you can see in those pics they could be using a FE103 variant...

Fostex FE108
Swan M4N or M3N or B3S
Aura 3in full range driver

Can you still find FE108s -- i'd love to get my hands on a quad for a horn design i'm working thru...

For a TL you want to look for a fairly high Q, and a smallish Vas or the TLine will get very large.

The Tangband W3-871 is a nice candidate. Or the W3-879 since you will be using a tweeter.

The FE103 would be a better candidate than the FE108 for a TL. But one of the 3" would be more suited to getting a reasonably high XO with only a 1st order XO (you can get the drivers closer together -- you want a tweeter with almost no mounting bezel. Audax has a nice 1".

Can you post a URL to the Swans? Aura?

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
martioz said:
Parts express has all graph and spec.

All 3 of the Swans get pretty ragged & peaky at the top (and start droping off at about 8k), and exhibit some serious resonances. And they are not very efficient.

For about the same price any of the Fostex FE83/87 FE103/107 (the x7s are shielded and the 8 & 10 are the diameter in cm) are more extended, smoother, and more efficient.

dave

Attachments

• fostex.gif
    fostex.gif
    83.6 KB · Views: 525
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.