Improving a set of speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd tackle it the other way, looking at speakers' recommended enclosure sizes and going from there. BassBox6 Pro and WinISD could be useful...

Why not just build new enclosures that are perfectly suited to your new drivers? I'm sure you can find some help here...after all, this *is* DIYaudio! :D

Hmm, your approach seems rather time consuming, I will continue my search for the original driver specifications.

I would make new enclosures but my woodworking skills are particularly lacking.

Besides these seem to be high quality boxes and i think they look great :cool:

Worth a shot :)

External dimensions:

Width: 27cm

Height:57.5cm

Depth:29cm

Side thickness: 112mm

Port length:14cm

Port width:2inches

Mid/bass: 8 inch tpx, made by Audax i believe.

Tweater: 3.5cm metal dome. "monitor audio" is written on the rectangular face plate.

Additional information;

The mid/bass has the following written on the back

MTX 2CX25 TDSN

M = chassis magnesium
TX = membrane “TPX”
2CX25 = size i think?
TD = something to do with the magnet?
SN = suspension “NORSOREX”, a kind of Neoprene,

8OHM

2CN12 = winds mobile 2 layers coppers (2C), on Nomex support, 12 mm length. :confused:

1377 - manufacturing number

The tweeter is a "MD900" by MA ( Monitor Audio )

Photographs of the crossover network in progress.

I'm under the impression replacing ageing electrolytic capacitors may improve things? They were 19 years old as of yesterday :D

Monitor Audio is good stuff.

I'd replace the surrounds (if they're brittle), and all the capacitors inside. Double-check for voice coil rubbing, and maybe replace the internal damping - fiberglass insulation should work well.

If all else fails, just sell 'em and buy a pre-made pair of cabinets from Parts Express.

Thanks for the advice :)

Regarding the voice coil rubbing, im not sure how to check on this?
I have noticed there to be a small amount of 'gritty' resistance as i move the suspension up and down, could this be the voice coil?

Finally, are there capacitors you would recommend? :)

Code said:
Thanks for the advice :)

Regarding the voice coil rubbing, im not sure how to check on this?
I have noticed there to be a small amount of 'gritty' resistance as i move the suspension up and down, could this be the voice coil?

Finally, are there capacitors you would recommend? :)

For caps, go with good old fashioned polyester. Apexjr has some at low prices.

Gritty resistance sounds like voice coil rubbing to me!

Hmm, on closer inspection it appears the cone is rubbing on the dust cap/rod. Is this a major issue, as it seems to sound just fine?

Regarding the capacitors, i assume 6UK160VDC means; 6uf 10% tolerance 160 volts DC.

I'm planning to replace these with Blackgates or Obligattos unless somebody advises differently.

Random.. suddenly i have harsh treble after altering my room layout :confused:.. arh!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.