Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Energy Pro 22 tweeter repair
Energy Pro 22 tweeter repair
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2007, 08:39 PM   #1
Glen1 is offline Glen1  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Energy Pro 22 tweeter repair

Hi,
This is not strictly DIY speaker building but more speaker repair. I have recently bought a second hand pair of Energy Pro 22 speakers. I've been waiting for a pair to come up on Ebay for a couple of years now and this was the first pair. I picked them up pretty cheaply as they were poorly advertised, the cabinets have some corner damage and one of the tweeters has a dent in the dome. After an audition last night it appears that the dent in the tweeter doesn't have any audible effect on performance. I would still like to have a crack at fixing the tweeter purely for the appearance factor. I have tried to 'suck' it out but no luck. I have heard that a vacumn cleaner can be used with great care or a small pin with a hook used to place a small home in it to pull the dent out. Even though I'd like to fix this but as the parts are no longer available I don't want to take any chances with it. A photo ot the tweeter in question is attached.
Thanks,
Glen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc05133.jpg (28.8 KB, 285 views)
Old 18th January 2007, 11:09 PM   #2
rtenyes is offline rtenyes  United States
diyAudio Member

i don't have any suggestions to fix the tweeter, but i do know that energy will re-build it for you if you really want the dent taken out. i had contacted them about fixing a woofer in my '22's - they don't fix the woofers anymore, just the tweeters.
Old 19th January 2007, 12:15 AM   #3
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Energy Pro 22 tweeter repair

Quote:
Originally posted by Glen1
or a small pin with a hook used to place a small home in it to pull the dent out. Glen.
What you said there, with care while you are at most serene spirits.
Old 19th January 2007, 12:30 AM   #4
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I don't know these tweeters, but if the dome material can handle it you might want to try some tape (gaffertape works very effective) just stick it on the dome carefull enough not to make the dent any worse and then pull it off like a woman getting rid of leghair

Just make sure it sticks reasonably well to the an as large as possible surface...scratch on the surface of the tape with your nail (or something else...) to make sure it sticks well enough...

The vacume cleaner solution might damage the litz wires or even suck-out the entire membrane, I would be carefull with that...

Hope it works just as well for you as it did for me many times...
Old 23rd January 2007, 10:42 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Used the gaffer tape and managed to pull the dent out. Love the speakers and wouldn't mine getting my hands on the 22 ref con model byt I guess pretty rare in Australia.
Old 23rd January 2007, 01:13 PM   #6
audiobomber is offline audiobomber  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Used the gaffer tape and managed to pull the dent out. Love the speakers and wouldn't mine getting my hands on the 22 ref con model byt I guess pretty rare in Australia.
I have a pair of Ref Cons that I'll be selling shortly. They have new audiophile-quality outboard crossovers. Too bad you're impossibly far away (I live in Canada).

I had two pairs of 22 References. I scrapped one for parts and gave the other to my son. I was using the Ref Cons as fronts and the 22 Ref as rear channels for HT. The Ref Cons are nicer, smoother sounding, much better bass, more detail, but definite family sound. The Ref Cons are more demanding of the power amp, due to a very low impedance in the bass (2 ohms IIRC).
Old 23rd January 2007, 08:22 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes, Canada is a long way from us although it is downhill all the way to get here. I'm not even sure that the ref conns were ever sold here. I have notice that the 22's are not all that efficient compared to my Quad 22L's. I'm running them with a 120 wpc Consonance Ref 150 hybrid integrated which may be a little on the light side for power output for the 22's. Regardless of this I still love them and as I paid AU$200 (I think about US$250) for them they are definitely keepers even with the rough cabinets. They have a slightly recessed midrange but the rest of the sound spectrum more than makes up for this. I was thinking of upgrading the crossovers and internal wiring but it may not be worth it according to another thread in this forum. I'll keep looking for some Ref Conns but not keeping my hopes up.
Old 23rd January 2007, 08:51 PM   #8
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Good to read it worked, and a pretty gentle method wouldn't you think?

Given that it is done by someone who is carefull....
Old 24th January 2007, 01:02 AM   #9
audiobomber is offline audiobomber  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
They have a slightly recessed midrange but the rest of the sound spectrum more than makes up for this. I was thinking of upgrading the crossovers and internal wiring but it may not be worth it according to another thread in this forum. I'll keep looking for some Ref Conns but not keeping my hopes up.
I think it was worth it. especially when I replaced the iron core woofer inductor with a good air core (I suggest 12ga). Aside from that, the crossover parts are around 20 years old, and there's a possibility that not everything is working up to scratch, especially the electrolytic caps.
Old 24th January 2007, 09:57 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I take it the only way to get to the crossover is to take the driver/s out and therefor damage the material covering the screws on both drivers.

Energy Pro 22 tweeter repairHide this!Advertise here!