Energy Pro 22 tweeter repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
This is not strictly DIY speaker building but more speaker repair. I have recently bought a second hand pair of Energy Pro 22 speakers. I've been waiting for a pair to come up on Ebay for a couple of years now and this was the first pair. I picked them up pretty cheaply as they were poorly advertised, the cabinets have some corner damage and one of the tweeters has a dent in the dome. After an audition last night it appears that the dent in the tweeter doesn't have any audible effect on performance. I would still like to have a crack at fixing the tweeter purely for the appearance factor. I have tried to 'suck' it out but no luck. I have heard that a vacumn cleaner can be used with great care or a small pin with a hook used to place a small home in it to pull the dent out. Even though I'd like to fix this but as the parts are no longer available I don't want to take any chances with it. A photo ot the tweeter in question is attached.
Thanks,
Glen.

Attachments

• dsc05133.jpg
    dsc05133.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 345
I don't know these tweeters, but if the dome material can handle it you might want to try some tape (gaffertape works very effective) just stick it on the dome carefull enough not to make the dent any worse and then pull it off like a woman getting rid of leghair :D

Just make sure it sticks reasonably well to the an as large as possible surface...scratch on the surface of the tape with your nail (or something else...) to make sure it sticks well enough...

The vacume cleaner solution might damage the litz wires or even suck-out the entire membrane, I would be carefull with that...

Hope it works just as well for you as it did for me many times...;)

Glen1 said:
Used the gaffer tape and managed to pull the dent out. Love the speakers and wouldn't mine getting my hands on the 22 ref con model byt I guess pretty rare in Australia.
I have a pair of Ref Cons that I'll be selling shortly. They have new audiophile-quality outboard crossovers. Too bad you're impossibly far away (I live in Canada).

I had two pairs of 22 References. I scrapped one for parts and gave the other to my son. I was using the Ref Cons as fronts and the 22 Ref as rear channels for HT. The Ref Cons are nicer, smoother sounding, much better bass, more detail, but definite family sound. The Ref Cons are more demanding of the power amp, due to a very low impedance in the bass (2 ohms IIRC).

Yes, Canada is a long way from us although it is downhill all the way to get here. I'm not even sure that the ref conns were ever sold here. I have notice that the 22's are not all that efficient compared to my Quad 22L's. I'm running them with a 120 wpc Consonance Ref 150 hybrid integrated which may be a little on the light side for power output for the 22's. Regardless of this I still love them and as I paid AU$200 (I think about US$250) for them they are definitely keepers even with the rough cabinets. They have a slightly recessed midrange but the rest of the sound spectrum more than makes up for this. I was thinking of upgrading the crossovers and internal wiring but it may not be worth it according to another thread in this forum. I'll keep looking for some Ref Conns but not keeping my hopes up.

Glen1 said:
They have a slightly recessed midrange but the rest of the sound spectrum more than makes up for this. I was thinking of upgrading the crossovers and internal wiring but it may not be worth it according to another thread in this forum. I'll keep looking for some Ref Conns but not keeping my hopes up.
I think it was worth it. especially when I replaced the iron core woofer inductor with a good air core (I suggest 12ga). Aside from that, the crossover parts are around 20 years old, and there's a possibility that not everything is working up to scratch, especially the electrolytic caps.

Yes, you have to remove the drivers, and the foam rings that cover the screws will likely get messed up. You can remove the tweeters without removing the entire foam disc. There are three screws, top, 120 and 240 degrees. Just peel enough off to reach the screws.

You can probably get new foam rings from Energy for next to nothing, they supply them for free when you have a driver rebuilt. Or you can cut your own from sticky backed felt or foam, available at a hobby shop. I think 1/8" black felt around the drivers looks better, and covers up the slight recess the originals leave. Really tough to cut nicely though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.