Matching Drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy Yall, ive heard a bit about drivers not matching (ie, tweeter and woofer together = no no). Is this related to frequency range in anyway? cause i have no idea. For instance if i use the following 2 drivers for a simple 2 way system would there be any problems?

Tweeter: Vifa D19
Freg range: 3-20k
Resonance: 1700hz
Sensitivity: 89dB
Nom imped: 8Ohm
Suggested Xo point: 5khz

Woofer: Re/Sponse 6.5" Highpower Polycone
Freq range: 39hz - 3khz
Sensitivity: 87db
Re: 6.9ohms
FS: 39hz
Vas: 20.9lt

If it is related to frequency range would the woofer be better suited to a tweeter like the one below?

Tweeter: Re/Sponse Dome tweeter
Freq range: 1.5-20 khz
Resonance: 1200hz
Sensitivity: 94dB
Nom imped: 8Ohm
Suggested Xo point: 4khz

Any help is appreciated, Ta!

Your question can be interpreted as two things: matching the same type of driver together (woofer-woofer or tweeter-tweeter) or matching a woofer for a tweeter.

Matching a woofer for a tweeter is not related to the frequency range since they are used for two differents purpose. Matching these two depends on your taste and a bit of specs: you should find drivers that have similar efficiency (in dB) and have a complementary frequency range (and impedence curve). These factors are the most important.

Second, if you are matching two woofers or two tweeters, in that case all the parameters should be similar: Fs, Q, etc. If your right and left channels use drivers that do not match (let say by 30%) you will have to design a different crossover network for each channel.

With the parameters that you gave us, your first tweeter is more suited for the task.

ok i may be completely wrong here. But i was most worried that if i set the crossover frequencie too high for the woofer or too low for the tweeter that there may be problems. And because the max freq range for the woofer is 3k and the min for tweeter is 3k i would have to set the croosover freq to 3k which is the extremes of the 2 drivers and then they wouldnt sound rite. True?

Scribble said:
ok i may be completely wrong here. But i was most worried that if i set the crossover frequencie too high for the woofer or too low for the tweeter that there may be problems. And because the max freq range for the woofer is 3k and the min for tweeter is 3k i would have to set the croosover freq to 3k which is the extremes of the 2 drivers and then they wouldnt sound rite. True?

The frequency range may be larger than the spec. In that case, it is not so bad to use 3k. If it is smaller than the spec, this is more tricky. You have to experiment. I'll say, build it, tweek it and have fun. You will learn more by doing that then by listening our small advice :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.