Dynaudio D-28 AF Voice Coil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
From what I have found out so far, they service the D-28/2. They will provide a voice coil and install it for $150. It looks like you can also buy the voice coil for this unit and install it yourself. It has alignment pins, so it is a potential DIY. Apparently, the AF model does not have these alignment pins and is more difficult to replace the voice coil, might be why they don't do it. They are slightly different units, though one can be used to replace the other in pairs according to Dynaudio.

I have a couple of these also (blown coils)

If you want to align them properly, you can run a 1K signal thru them and listen for the best tone you can get at final tight down.
This might mean using round headed screws (for alignment)instead of the countersunk ones. I doubt you'll need to though

150 clams is way too much for something like this!

Regards
David

My other post was for a vifa D19TD. These don't have alignment pins, so they would be like the D-28 AF in difficulty. The 1000 Hz tone idea is a good one, that's what I needed to know for the vifa as I am reinserting the same coil that is still bathed in ferrofluid. What do you do about the fluid when you are putting in a new replacement, though? Seems like you'll lose a bit of it unless you put some in. Which means you are probably cleaning things up and replacing with new. Then the question, which fluid and how much, wouldn't want it going all over the place.

I got the Madisound info from posts and browsing the site, did not speak to them. Yes, $150 is a bit for rebuilding a tweeter. Funny thing is, I have a D-28 AF tweeter with a 1/2 tear in the dome and I can't tell the difference from a good one even using a test tone CD. I'd be fixing for cosmetic reasons.

:D Hi there;) a simpler way is to attach a 1.5 v dry cell batt with the pos to pos leads and it should self center, btw crock clips help so that you can quickly rev the leads to make sure, in which case the coil will be pulled down as opposed to being pushed out :bigeyes: cheers l hope this helps TC:D

this gives the same serlf centering effect as the 1 k signal but a lot less trouble, not to mention far simpler....
have used this method re-foaming drivers, in which case l use a 9v batt, cheers again:devilr:

The fluid is a tough call.

Many feel you get more detail out of non-fluid tweeters, but then again other parimeter's will change if you delete it. that is one option

Their's different viscosity's of this stuff also.

I guess if it was mine I would pull tweeter's apart, fix the broken one and clean off the fluid of both coils and button it up.

There will probably be enough fluid or try to find some fluid samlpes maybe from manufactures of the stuff?

regards

David

:D sorry not that simple:whazzat: even if you clean off the fluid off the vc there will be quite a bit still left in the gap:cannotbe: if you want some more check out speakerbits com. they can help with replacement fluid, comes in small plastic flask so u can inject it in the gap/ tho l agree they sound better without in which case what u can do is buy an empty syringe flask from your local chemist and suck it out with that:dodgy: cheers again and good luck:apathic: TC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.