New floor standers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tesla769 said:
Hi I want to make some inexspensive floor speakers im new at this so go easy on me. I listen to hard rock music mostlty if that helps. I thought a bigger woofer was always better all I see now is 6 1\2 ,8 Like I said I am new at this. Can ya help me please

Jeff

The ZaphAudio Dayton Aluminum MTMs will run you roughly $250/pair with subwoofers.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/BAMTM.html

There's an option on the bottom for side-firing subwoofers, which will give you oodles of bass.

Alternately, the shielded version of the Silver Flute 8" woofer from madisound is only $40. It can go down to about 40hz without much trouble, though I reccomend using them with either a midrange driver or a tweeter capable of crossing over below 1.5khz.

Re: Room size/Amp

Tesla769 said:
Its a carver 752 for the amp its 100 watts x 2 and my room is 10 x 14 its not a very big room. And as far as drivers whatever works best my speakers here now have 3 drivers but they are real sweetheart whitevan specials.

Thanks,
Jeff

Unplug those suckers before you kill your amp - they're garbage. I hope you did'nt pay too much for 'em.

Go ahead with the Daytons. Even without a subwoofer, they've got decent bass, and don't cost too much.

Jeff, this may be worth consideration. In your present room with your amp you should have plenty of headroom.

Please note, I have not listened to these. I want to, they look good on paper.

Being a dual concentric, easy for a newcomer. Have a listen before you decide. Better to spend a bit more now, than upgrade in 6 months time.

http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma 12cx-1.htm

Just a word or to about listening tests. Note the ones you like, and go back for another check. It takes time to narrow down the choice, but see it as an investment.

Good luck with the hunt. And don't be afraid to ask questions.

Geoff.

Edit: The 8BX may be worth a look also. For the price dif, I'd go for the 12"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.