Selling Speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have someone interested in a set of diy speakers and I’m not sure what to ask for them. I built using Usher 8945 woofer rand Usher T-9950 tweeter. The crossover uses decent components the cabinet is 1 ½” mdf front 3/4” mdf sides put together with biscuits and glue. The finish is Makore veneer.
I have around 650.00 in parts.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• speakers.jpg
    speakers.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 700
dod996 said:
I have someone interested in a set of diy speakers and I’m not sure what to ask for them. I built using Usher 8945 woofer rand Usher T-9950 tweeter. The crossover uses decent components the cabinet is 1 ½” mdf front 3/4” mdf sides put together with biscuits and glue. The finish is Makore veneer.

Here are some pictures.

A good way to get to a selling price is 2x the parts costs. This would put you @ $1300 for the pair and gives you something for your time.

Before you give out a price ask them if twice the parts cost would be fair. If they agree show him/her your invoice of parts costs and add it up with them. Dividing the number of hours you put into it will show that you were working for a meager wage. :violin:

The person must like the way they sound already so that's one hurdle. Dollar for dollar if you have a good design your speakers should hold their own. Another selling point to convey to them is that they are getting a custom made product that it is unique to any other speaker.

Now this puts you in competition with many commercially made speakers which also come with warranties. Although very few things happen to speakers most people are concerned they might blow a driver :car: :nownow: ... alright a speaker:happy1: You could offer driver replacements for the first year with the limit on one occurrance per driver. This should help calm any fear of being left high and dry. If possible keep one each of the drivers around for the first year in case of being discontinued and/or watch for sales.

dod996 said:

Here are some pictures.

Those look great, nice work!

I've sold speakers to quite a few people on Ebay, and I've got a grasp on how DIY speakers are valued there. Most people are in for a letdown on what their projects are worth. The last system I sold also had roughly $650 worth of parts (including damping, crossover, veneer and everything) and it sold for a whopping $665. That's actually on the high side of what I expected to get. Normally I lose money. Of course if I were to charge for my time, my cost would have been about $2000 but I assure you that time spent DIY'ing is worth nothing to anyone.

I've seen some people put DIY systems on ebay for a huge reserve price. I sometimes set Ebay to watch these auctions. They might start at $1600 and get no bids. Next week they are back at $1200, "Price reduced! Act now!" Next week they are back at $900. No bids. $600 is next, no bids. Then they disappear and never come back to Ebay.

dod996 said:
It's Dennis Murphy's Usher Two-Way design.

Dropping Dennis' name and providing a response curve should add value though, at least as far as an Ebay sale. Now, if you can find someone local to buy your speakers for more than their ebay value, consider yourself far ahead of the game. Personally, I've found that selling local nets even less money than ebay. People expect "rummage sale" pricing.

Re: Re: Selling Speakers?

Zaph said:

Those look great, nice work!

I've sold speakers to quite a few people on Ebay, and I've got a grasp on how DIY speakers are valued there. Most people are in for a letdown on what their projects are worth. The last system I sold also had roughly $650 worth of parts (including damping, crossover, veneer and everything) and it sold for a whopping $665. That's actually on the high side of what I expected to get. Normally I lose money. Of course if I were to charge for my time, my cost would have been about $2000 but I assure you that time spent DIY'ing is worth nothing to anyone.

I've seen some people put DIY systems on ebay for a huge reserve price. I sometimes set Ebay to watch these auctions. They might start at $1600 and get no bids. Next week they are back at $1200, "Price reduced! Act now!" Next week they are back at $900. No bids. $600 is next, no bids. Then they disappear and never come back to Ebay.

Dropping Dennis' name and providing a response curve should add value though, at least as far as an Ebay sale. Now, if you can find someone local to buy your speakers for more than their ebay value, consider yourself far ahead of the game. Personally, I've found that selling local nets even less money than ebay. People expect "rummage sale" pricing.

I think the trick is to go for looks.

For example, people would pay much more for a system based around two 8" woofers and the iffy-at-best YAG-20 planar tweeter because it would look very impressive, bass response would be decent, and it has a fancy-looking tweeter.

Hence, it looks expensive, even though the total cost for drivers is only about $200.

If the infamous "White Van" speaker salesman can get $500 a pair for speakers that look similarly impressive but offer zero sound quality (let alone a fancy-looking tweeter), $400 is hardly out of the question.

I guess the trick is to remember that people are stupid...and to exploit that knowlege as best you can.

dod996

I thought that I recognized Dennis' design. Excellent work. As Zaph has pointed out, the fact your speakers are the execution of a professional designer carries a lot of weight--refer your buyer to DM's website for authentication.

Check out Jim Salk's gallery. www.salksound.com His site has a picture of his rendition of Dennis' Usher. I'm sure that he would have sold them for around $1200 a couple of years ago when he first began. But he has parlayed Murphy's designs into a pretty good speaker enterprise and they would be more expensive now. His cabinet work--veneering and finishing, is absolutely flawless and he uses exotic veneers, like you did. The combination of these two assets nets Jim his well-deserved price.

I built DM's Ushers for my son and he loves 'em. Here is a pic

tn-usher03.jpg

Let us know how you make out with your sale!

I'm thinking of selling DIY speakers, I just completed a prototype today.
These would have one Jensen 12" brand new (made in Italy) Alnico magnet type speaker, wired directly to a 1/4" mono phone jack on the back.
The case is made of 1/2 inch particleboard, 18" wide, 24" high and 12" deep. Has a removable masonite rear cover, is filled with fiberglass insulation, and has a nice burlap-like (but better quality) cloth front, a steel carrying handle about 1/3 of the way down on one side, and spray painted black, musician style.
Do you think these will go for $160 or so on Ebay, I already went asking at Musician's Workshop in town and they think it's a good price?
Can post a pic tomorrow if need be.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.