Humble Optimo XO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I am putting together an order with lautsprechershop.de for the crossover components using Humble Homemade Hifi's Optimo design ("budget" version): http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Optimo.html
I am struggling to understand and find the 0.01uF MKP1836 bypass cap.
It does not appear on the scematic. How should it be placed in the circuit?
Where can I purchase one from ( I can't find one on lautsprechershop.de website)?
I have used lautsprechershop.de in the past with good results. Can anyone recommend a UK source for these components? I prefer one stop shopping!
Thanks in advance.
michael

Being the first owner of an Optimo ever (the speaker in the website are mine) I wouldn't worry over these small caps. Specially when using the budget XO.

I do use a silver/oil cap for C2a and that brought substantial improvement not to be missed! I think I have C2 divided in three parts:

5.6 uF silver oil
5.6 uF MKP+
1.5 uF MKP+

The optimo is a great sounding speaker. You won't be disappointed.

regards,

Abo

Hi again.
I am about to fit these caps, but I am unsure whether they are bi-polar. They do appear to have one end coloured.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image031.jpg
    image031.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 403
Oh, if you do soldering and de-soldering on your passive XO boards disconnect the speaker cables first from your speaker or amp terminals and also watch out not to short your speaker cable RCA plugs, or you could smoke your amplifiers if they are turned on. That saves you turning on and off your amps many times, i.e. no need to turn off your amplifiers while you change your XO boards. If you decide to turn off your amplifiers first, you may still need to be careful because it may take quite a while for your amplifier's PSU caps to be disharged.

I am very curious (septical) about the result of bypassing good caps with a 0.1uF MKP.

I will give it a try in the future.

In theory, unless the cap to be bypassed has a high impedance at high frequency, bypassing has no positive effect. Bypassing would only lower the impedance. This would make the high frequency to be more prominent, the result of which can give an effect of more air, more details and more presence, but not necessarily the correct response. In a long run, flat frequency response gives a more pleasant sound but less exaggerated result.

I can fully understand the benefit of bypassing electrolytic caps because these caps usually have a high impedance at high frequencies.

I have not used any tin-foil caps and perhaps these caps don't sound as clear in high frequencies as MKPs.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Hi, only personal listening exsperience

I have tried it lots of times and have never liked it - be it capacitors or resistors

What I experience every time I paralel or bypass a component is some sort of "ringing" or unpleasent high frequence ressonance
It is documented in amp building, and the wellknown mr. Leach has written about it

I can see that in some cases where you kind of like miss something in your setup, it might trigger this and give that little exstra "airy" sound

But in that case I would say there might be a problem else where, that better need resolved first and not compensated with some experimentel mix of components

I think its all about coherence

I have four spare pairs of these ( I had to buy 10 from RS). Members can have a set at cost (£5) plus postage.
This may make for an interesting test.
My crossovers will need to run in for a while, before I can join in. Also, I still have some cabinet issues, so I would rather wait until they are right.
PM me if you would like me to send you a pair. Pay via Paypal.
Michael.

In the process of trying to find capacitors with cost effecient performance, I have found that that what TonyGee reports is quite in line with my findings, actually I thought that one combination with a parallel 0.01uF cap made somewhat better sound than the Mondorf silver oil of the same capacitor value. Measuring the harmonic content also made somewhat consistent results with what I hear. Of course on-going tests are still necessary, and it seems that caps of same or different lots may also vary.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.