Energy Eclipse speakers - why the fark is there so much distortion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently bought a pair of Energy Eclipse speakers for my "second system". However, the midrange sounds distorted, to say the least. The reciever has a bit of a DC offset (about 60mv on both channels - I know, I have to fix it), but the treble and bass sound just fine. However, the midrange (right around the xover frequency sounds like distorted carp.

Any suggestions, folks?

Sorry not too much info to go by from your modest description. Your worry of 0.06 Vdc PA offset would not be a significant contribution to your symptoms. I'd take em back to the seller or get a price adjustment. WAG is blown drivers since they both share the same distortion? Do the cones/domes rasp when gently moved in or out?

infinia said:
Sorry not too much info to go by from your modest description. Your worry of 0.06 Vdc PA offset would not be a significant contribution to your symptoms. I'd take em back to the seller or get a price adjustment. WAG is blown drivers since they both share the same distortion? Do the cones/domes rasp when gently moved in or out?

I paid $25 - for that much, I can fix them.

It's very odd, as the high treble and low bass is fine - it's the midrange that sucks.

I'll have to pry off the grilles tomorrow.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.