Dalesford Bass Driver - Any suggestions for a replacement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of beloved speakers made by a company called Swallow Acoustics which seems to be virtually unheard of. I bought them with my first system in 1979 when they cost £300 and they have served me well for the past 27 years! Unfortunately the bass drive unit in the right hand speaker has developed a fault and will now only emit an occasional, unpleasant flatulant noise. The 6" driver was manufactured by a company called Dalesford of Pudsey (near Leeds) and I wondered if one of you knowledgable enthusiasts might be able to suggest a suitable replacement.

Also, as a complete novice, I would be interested in any advice about what might be the cause of the fault. Is it the drive unit or could it be a problem with the crossover components? As the speakers are unusable as they are I quite fancy having a go at upgrading and repairing them. Any suggestions?

I have e-mailed Wilmslow Audio to ask for their advice but have, as yet, failed to receive a reply.

Swallow Acoustics driver units...

Hi - I think that there is only you and I on this planet that has heard of Swallow Acoustics. I too have a pair of these speakers that are in daily use but several years ago one of my bass units was stuffed by my wife who is a full time technophobe, and that too developed the very unpleasant flatulence of which you speak. I bought a pair of new driver units but before they were delivered I discovered this place in Huddersfield who reconed the original Dalesford speaker.

Recone Lab
Victoria House
Victoria Street
Lockwood
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
HD1 3RG United Kingdom

Telephone: 01484 549899

Fax: 01484 533038

e-mail: reconelabATloudspeakersonline.com

Speak to Mike Noble - MD or Ian Squired - Audio Engineer.

It cost me a little more than the cost of a new driver but I was delighted with the job that they did and I could neither see nor hear any difference between the old and the repaired units, apart from the repaired unit not being covered in dust, so give them a try. Their email is not particularly reliable so maybe it is worth giving them a ring or fax after the holidays. They are part of the Richard Allen speaker firm so they know their stuff and are very helpful and friendly to deal with. I am pretty sure that Mike Noble will remember me. I spoke to them a month or two ago to try and get a Mission 717 tweeter fixed but they baulked at that.

In return I would appreciate a little information about your Swallows. The guy told me when I bought them (~15 years ago) that he had installed a 3.3 ohm resistor in series each of the tweeters because he thought the speakers were too bright. I retired the Swallow speakers when I aquired a pair of Mission 717s but I brought the Swallows out of retirement when one of the Missions developed the tweeter fault and I removed the resistors because the Swallows sounded rather dull. The guy now tells me that he increased the value of some existing resistors! Could you tell me if your Swallows have any resistors in series with the tweeter, and if so, what is its value? These resistors were mounted on the crossover unit PCB so you may have to dig around in the wadding!

Send me a PM if Recone Lab cannot help you because I still have the driver units that I bought to replace the Dalesford drivers and we may be able to do a deal to both our advantage.

Regards - Alan S

Dalesfords for sale

I just happen to have a matched pair of Dalesford 153 6" Drive units, which you can have for £40

They were taken from a pair of Bailey Transmission Lines so there is plenty of LF handling capability. Will send spec if you are interested.

Would prefer not to post and am prepared to meet. I am in Manchester.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.