Altec Lansing

Me neither, but TTBOMK the only differences is the metallic paint job, new style logo and fancy grill on the bottom half.

GM

edit: Haste + fading memory makes waste! :( In retrospect + Googling, this appears to be the 'C' model drawing, so includes the ~full size cutout bottom 'baffle' + separate reflex tuning panel, with the original having the 825's two piece baffle boards and the 'B' as shown here: http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1975-mi/page12.jpg

GM

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/multi-way/826768d1584821739-altec-lansing-altec-jpg

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Can be if there's little/no airspace behind the driver, so loosely covering it with cheese cloth allows packing open weave insulation completely around it, though really dense cotton such as Denim Jeans needs to allow some room for it to 'breathe': Altec Heathkit legato 2-15 inch horn & driver

GM

What are your thoughts on using side-by-side (twin) 15's underneath a mid horn like that ? I'm thinking it would be just fine up to a point in the ascension in frequency and then become a problem (?) Perhaps as the wavelength involved becomes smaller than the sideways ctc ??

I prefer them over TMM with 500 Hz XO as well as dual 12"/800 Hz due to closer c-t-c, better pattern control and why they're still being used in some larger recording/mastering studios, though of course at some point off axis the XO BW does begin to have audible TD.

Unfortunately, the shape keeps the big ones from being an option in most HIFI/HT apps:

THE Rod SpeakersThese are a pair of vintage Altec component speakers custom built for Rod Stewarts house, and … | Rod stewart, Altec lansing speakers, Altec lansing

Altec The RodSpeakers Custom built for Rod Stewart 1976 | Reverb

GM

Yes the port is bigger according to what I have read in translated Japanese web page so it should sound better in the bass area I do not know because I have not heard them. Better in the bass area meant that acoustic music ex jazz sounded more natural, hmm.

I have the dimensions of external dimensions width 690 × height 1,018 × depth 485mm so it does not differ much but it is the baffle that differs, guessing what dimensions the port has can be so tricky enough.

I hope our Japanese members jump in and can help so I can start planning. That I want to build these is that I like the style I can build 620 but can I clone these from the beginning so I do not have to change 620 later.

I prefer them over TMM with 500 Hz XO as well as dual 12"/800 Hz due to closer c-t-c, better pattern control and why they're still being used in some larger recording/mastering studios, though of course at some point off axis the XO BW does begin to have audible TD.

Unfortunately, the shape keeps the big ones from being an option in most HIFI/HT apps:

THE Rod SpeakersThese are a pair of vintage Altec component speakers custom built for Rod Stewarts house, and … | Rod stewart, Altec lansing speakers, Altec lansing

Altec The RodSpeakers Custom built for Rod Stewart 1976 | Reverb

GM

Some quarantine reading.. Petit Ojas W with dual side by side 414. Inspired by the 9844 and the Onken W.

Attachments

• 1A4707BA-C338-47A2-9093-2FEFD82EA6C6.jpg
    1A4707BA-C338-47A2-9093-2FEFD82EA6C6.jpg
    971.4 KB · Views: 487
The enclosure specified for the Altec 601-8D is the 614D

The enclosure specified for the Altec 601-8D is the 614D.

I have found an Altec brochure for the 614D. But I can't find plans for the 614D. I have, however, found plans for a 614 enclosure.

What is the difference between the 614 and 614D enclosures, if any? There is a good chance that the plans are in fact the 614D, but mislabeled. I have looked through some of the old enclosure brochures I have downloaded from the internet and especially on the Lansing Heritage site and can't seem to distinguish the two.

There is very little in the user forums that I can find about the 601-8D. I have been searching on the Lansing HeritageForum, here, and AudioKarma among others. I have a pair of 601-8D's and N3000E that appear to be NOS, or at least appear to have never been mounted. They have been in a box for years now. I have some time on my hands and plenty of good plywood in the garage and would enjoy knocking these out.

Any help or advise is welcome.

Attachments

• Altec 614 cabinet plans.jpg 3,264×2,368 pixels.pdf
    434 KB · Views: 101
  • Altec 614d_speaker_cabinet brochure.pdf
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 97
Thank you, that is where I found the spec for the enclosure when I started down this road.

And, I am open to other enclosure ideas. Some threads suggest that an equivalent Altec 12", the 414A, would be an avenue for me to explore. I know enough to know that there could be substantive differences between the woofer section of the 601-8D and the 414A. I have not been able to confirm how alike or different they are yet.

Any advise would be welcome.