Altec Lansing

I have that issue. If I had that ceiling I would have done something similar.

This system uses Klangfilm Siemens Bionor vintage theatre speakers and JBL B460 subs.

Attachments

• 02-Lamm-ML3+Bionors_resize.jpg
    02-Lamm-ML3+Bionors_resize.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 397
  • 03-Siemens-Bionor_resize.jpg
    03-Siemens-Bionor_resize.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 390
  • 04-JBL-B460+Lamm-ML1_resize.jpg
    04-JBL-B460+Lamm-ML1_resize.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 381
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
After reading Pano’s post on page one I was impressed by his creation, he said that he “never heard any other speaker of any size, shape, technology or vintage that sounds more like real live music than these”.
Double stacked Quad 57 ESL panels come darn close. Better in some ways; more detail more open. I haven't heard the newer Quads.

The only real subjective criticism of the Quads I have is that they so clean, so transparent that they can call attention to themselves for that very reason. They can sound better than real. Almost like you're listening from inside the microphone. A very good implementation of the Altec horns doesn't call attention to itself quite the same way. To me, the Altec is somewhat more natural.

But that's a fine distinction. Both systems are really at the top of the game. There is much joy in both.

Hello Chaps,

I have been reading your posts and suddenly became intrigued by horn loaded speakers, I have never listened to them.

I have a pair of upgraded QUAD ESL 63 but I need to try a different approach to listen to music.

What are your recommendations?

Cheers,

Horacio

One nice thing about a pair of vintage Altec speakers is if you do some research on pricing and condition and buy accordingly, you should be able to audition for yourself and resell near the same price if you decide they are not for you.
Since you are in Florida, there should be greater availability within driving distance.

Well, my plan was to do exactly as you suggested but still keep my QUADs.

Although Miami is one of the wealthiest and most nearly recession-proof urban areas in the US, it has never been a high-end town like Washington, DC where you could find anything you wanted.

I found a pair of 846A for $2K but shipping costs are very high nowadays.

If I could find a set of the Altec drivers used in the VOT/846B in mint condition I would build my own cabs, I have the tools to do that.

Cheers,

Horacio

Last edited:
I have had several valve amps, Dynaco, Radford, Acrosound, Mac, Heathkit, Leak, Audio Rsch A75, my last one was a Berning EA-230.

With the QUADs I have been using an Electrcompaniet 100DMB LE [125W/Ch] since '97, it is a great match for these electrostatics. I play LPs. Pre is a Klyne Series 6. It is a simple system.

I thought that the 846A was a 16 Ohm speaker but the back panel label says designed to operate from 8 or 16 Ohm.

Hi, who here owns VOTT horns, with Altec or any other drivers, or any other variations of altecs?

Please list your drivers and cabinets, and amps it would be good to see all users on one thread.

I would be interested if those in the EU can allow me to visit and listen, I live in London. Would like to get a flavor of different configurations and sizes, as currently I have only heard big VOTTs with 2 515 in each woofer. I would like to listen to smaller compact ones as well.

Thanks

bonzo, I have many drivers and completed systems just being stored. The Altec is just a part of it. I am an admitted speakerholic with no signs of a cure at this point.

Be careful if you ever get to meet Pano. He will drink your liquor, steal your wife, fondle your speakers, and trash your bathroom, all in a six hour period. All while being very generous and gentlemanly.

Hi Michael :wave:

bonzo, I have many drivers and completed systems just being stored. The Altec is just a part of it. I am an admitted speakerholic with no signs of a cure at this point.
Be careful if you ever get to meet Pano. He will drink your liquor, steal your wife, fondle your speakers, and trash your bathroom, all in a six hour period. All while being very generous and gentlemanly.

He can have the liquor, bathroom, and wife for a set of 515$ in good condition

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yikes, that almost hits home. A couple of years ago I sold a nice pair of 416s to a gentleman on eBay who had been searching for years. UPS trashed them in shipment. Yes, the money was refunded, but it was a sad affair overall. They buyer didn't get the nice 416s he was dreaming of, and another pair of lovely Altec woofers met an untimely death. :(

Maybe it was revenge for Cal's bathroom.