Converted my Insignias into Tang Band SUBS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Don't know if this has been already done or not.

The thrill of my $35 Insignia's had worn off and they were just sitting on the shelf. I also had some other sale items from PE that were still sitting on the shelf. Two Tang Band 6.5 subs and a Dayton 240 sub amp. So...what to do?

Since the Tang Bands don't require much space, I removed the Insignia drivers and installed the Tangs Bands. Added a little extra foam. Stuffed the ports...to seal it up. Hooked everything up and they are working very well. They are sitting under my computer/audio workshop desk. They give strong support to some 15 year old Acoustic Research 8" 3-way speakers.

The amount of bass these provide in my work area is impressive. Not extremely low, but certainly doing their job without drawing attention to themselves. In fact, one would easily do the job. But since I had two and enough power... :) I keep the gain low on the amp and there is more than enough bass support. They also look good.

Nothing super special or difficult. But it was worth my time.

prerunnerv6 said:

The thrill of my $35 Insignia's had worn off and they were just sitting on the shelf. I also had some other sale items from PE that were still sitting on the shelf. Two Tang Band 6.5 subs and a Dayton 240 sub amp. So...what to do?

Nothing super special or difficult. But it was worth my time.

any chance of pics?, details on the speakers and electronics?

thanks,

gychang

Re: Re: Converted my Insignias into Tang Band SUBS

gychang said:

any chance of pics?, details on the speakers and electronics?

thanks,

gychang

No personal pics since I know alot of people have seen the Insignias, but here are the items:

Insignia thread w/pics

Tang Band Subs

Dayton 240 sub amp

I've read of some people having low output with these subs...because of their low sensitivity. But I'm not having this issue. I have them wired in series to introduce an 8ohm load to the amp. This limits the amp to 170 watts rms, which doesn't seem to be bothering the subs at all.

Cal Weldon said:
The TB's are the W6-1139's? I use them also.

How big is the box?

Someone had posted the actual liters of the boxes and I'm trying to find it. From what I remembered, the TB's specs should be very close to the sealed volume of the Insignia's.

I just did some further reasearch and found someone on the PE forum that had tested some alternative drivers in the Insignia boxes a while back. He stated that the only driver he tested that worked well in those Insignia boxes were the TB 6.5 subs.

So it looks like someone else has at least tried. I didn't know about before trying mine out. But I had seen the TB's used in flower pots before. So I figured these boxes couldn't be too bad.

Correction...

I have them connected in series and it's introducing a 16 ohm load to the amp. I was just wanted to make sure that I wasn't overpowering anything. I was going to wire them in series to introduce a 4ohm load to the amp, thus giving more power. But in this small room, it doesn't seem like I have to.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.