Placing port for two-way system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm wondering what you guys think about placing the port in front of the baffle instead of behind.

What do you think about the affirmation below:

Placing the reflex port in the front baffle is a very wise thing to do. Seeing as it is a two-way system a lot of midrange energy will be coming out of the port, in this case there is a minimum of damping material inside the cabinet so it is all the more important. If you place the ports in the rear panel then this energy will arrive delayed compared to the midrange energy coming from the drivers. This will result in some blurring of the stereo image. To save space again I made a slotted port directly under the W12CY001. The tunnel is made from a piece of mdf.

REALFLEO

I mostly place the ports in a 2-way at the back, behind the tweeter on a bookshelf and near the floor for a floorstander, but depends on what I'm trying to achieve with the speaker.

Tony does mention that there is minimal damping in that design and reinforces his decision and comment.

There's only one way to find out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.