Vifa/Dayton/Dayton... First speaker for me, finally!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's the plan so far...

TMWW

Midbass/Woofer = 2xDayton RS270, 30-600Hz
Midrange = Dayton RS52, 600-2.5kHz
Tweeter = Vifa XT25, 2.5kHz-40kHz

My restrictions is that the above mentioned drivers need to be powered by LM4780 or LM3886 gainclones. I have already built one of these amps and it sounds amazing. I will also be using an active crossover design ala Linkwitzlabs.

Another driver to replace the midrange and lower the tweeter XO point is the Peerless 5.5" exclusive but this significantly lowers my total efficiency which may be a problem with the gain clones.

Usher 9845 2" Textile Dome Midrange??

I am also trying to do this under a tight budget. Comments?

Wow, those are a good deal.

Zaph has some small drivers measured on his page and that is one of them. The RS52 seems to have a flatter response and lower distortion. I guess that's the trend with those aluminum Daytons (low distortion.) But, is that the end all of making a decision? I'm an engineer by trade so I'm used to pick things by specifications. Audio is not so easy.

This is the first design that I've done and actually kept it for myself. I've done two 2-ways, one 3 way (active crossover,) and countless subwoofers. So I'm not a noob by most people's standards.

There a benefits to 2ways and 3ways. I am trying to minimize Doppler distortion by using a dedicated midrange. It's nice to get opinions about drivers that people have used. That's what I need in this case.

I'm looking for a natural, smooth but dynamic with no slop type sound.

alexcd said:
I'm looking for a natural, smooth but dynamic with no slop type sound.

In this respect I prefer planar units...

I've once listened to 3-way ACR isostatic RP200 speakers, very convincing true, natural, detail, imaging, dynamic and timbre.:eek: :eek: :eek: (two 20cm woofers and two Swiss made magnetostatic devices for midrange and highrange) They weren't expensive, but a bit higher budget than your plan....

But ESLs........:bigeyes:

On the other hand I do read very positive things about that xt25, but usually prefer cone midranges...http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-55859.html

I do own two vifa 75mm domes, but they're real crap...:whacko:

Dynaudio d52 mmmmmm!:lickface: , but I guess they're not around anymore...

Cheers! :cheers:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.